Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2476 Post by onedimension » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 am

starmanof51 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 pm
connor wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm
KL Insider just implied Winchester '73 and Destry Rides Again are with Criterion
Criterion also had Mann's The Naked Spur up on their streaming channel a few months ago. I imagine that will get a blu-ray release soon.
Naked Spur is with Warner’s, the other two are with Universal
The Naked Spur is with Warner’s, three other Mann/Stewart westerns are with Universal, and The Man From Laramie is, I think, with Sony.. odds of a complete set seem like the best they’ve ever been

onedimension

#2477 Post by onedimension » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:03 am

qw0aszx wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 am
Had chance to have a little chat with Pip Chodorov at Beijing International Short Film Festival last week (he came to show the wonderful 16mm prints of some experimental shorts), Criterion is not going to release the Maya Deren set but Kino will. Anyway, I can not wait for this set!
What’s the Maya Deren set?

senseabove

#2478 Post by senseabove » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:23 pm

onedimension wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:03 am
qw0aszx wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 am
Had chance to have a little chat with Pip Chodorov at Beijing International Short Film Festival last week (he came to show the wonderful 16mm prints of some experimental shorts), Criterion is not going to release the Maya Deren set but Kino will. Anyway, I can not wait for this set!
What’s the Maya Deren set?
Given Pip Chodorov is affiliated with Re:Voir, I assume its this one: https://re-voir.com/shop/en/maya-deren- ... eren-.html

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2479 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Those are old DVDs. I take the post to mean that Kino is working on a complete (or near complete) works Blu-ray set. She didn't make that many films.

senseabove

#2480 Post by senseabove » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm
Those are old DVDs. I take the post to mean that Kino is working on a complete (or near complete) works Blu-ray set. She didn't make that many films.
Yes... Just pointing out that since the poster said "the Maya Deren set," and someone asked "what Maya Deren set," and there is no other known set, that set seems like the closest thing, and it's released by a label founded by Pip Chodorov, whom they were asking. So presumably Chodorov is working with Kino to release a new set, and if so, given Chodorov's involvement and Deren's small filmography... it's probably going to be somewhat similar to that set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2481 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:26 pm

OK, but that isn't a set--it's a page for a deal where you can buy three separate Maya Deren releases for a discounted price. In fact, Ritual in Transfigured Time appears twice between the three releases.

senseabove

#2482 Post by senseabove » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:41 pm

OK, but I was just trying to be helpful and answer onedimension's question about qw0aszx's ambiguous phrasing by pointing out the closest available thing to what said ambiguous phrasing was possibly referring to given that the person qw0aszx says he talked to was presumably involved in their release and is not, so far as I know, otherwise involved with Kino on a regular basis.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2483 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't think anyone needs to jump through so many hoops. A forthcoming Daren set from KL will undoubtedly just be a set containing all her movies. I think the question meant, "When was this announced?"

onedimension

#2484 Post by onedimension » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am

I knew I was taking a risk posting such a simple question.. It was meant to gesture at any relevant detail, like, have there been restorations of her films recently - all of them? - what’s the timeline for a release - is there a plan for supplemental commentary and essays?

senseabove

#2485 Post by senseabove » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:55 pm

onedimension wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am
I knew I was taking a risk posting such a simple question.. It was meant to gesture at any relevant detail, like, have there been restorations of her films recently - all of them? - what’s the timeline for a release - is there a plan for supplemental commentary and essays?
Sorry. I'm fresh out of conjectural hoops.

Minkin

#2486 Post by Minkin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 am

Here is your Speculation Rodeo

In the Heat of the Night - July newsletter clue + Jewison phantom page

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - 2015 New Years clue (anybody remember that? clue = the clock pointing at the time) + cover art seen in background of Apu Trilogy restoration video. Not sure what the hold up was, but here it is.

Mikey and Nicky - Was on Hulu + Filmstruck, otherwise the only surprise this month.

Notorious - June newsletter clue + upgrade of long OOP title

24 Frames - Janus tour, also confirmed by Kiarostami relative
=================================================
250 Upgrades remain. As for that 2015 New Years clue - I have This is Spinal Tap as the only outstanding clue - because of the Stonehenge (tied into the Master Builder clue) - but I'll entertain people's responses who think this wasn't a clue for that film. For the Region B -locked fans, 24 Frames was confirmed also for Criterion's UK line, so I'd expect that to be announced in a week or two.

PfR73

#2487 Post by PfR73 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 am

I do think the Stonehenge was for This Is Spinal Tap, but I think the creators' subsequent lawsuit against Vivendi/StudioCanal may be impacting the release.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2488 Post by soundchaser » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am

A poster on the Criterion subreddit confirms that Harold Lloyd's The Kid Brother is being worked on for a possible announcement before the year's end.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2489 Post by Omensetter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days finally being released is obviously great and it looks like they kept the same cover-art from the Instagram post from years-back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this also means it's the oldest IFC title in the collection that had an original run via IFC, besting A Christmas Tale by a year.

So, presumably they could release other IFC titles from that same time period like Three Times, Paranoid Park, and The Flight of the Red Balloon. At the same time, the latter isn't indexed on their website, but the IFC logo of course is still on its poster on IMDB (and I still have those old Film Comments that had IFCs lineup advertised on the back cover). Anyone have any insight on this?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2490 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm
4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days finally being released is obviously great and it looks like they kept the same cover-art from the Instagram post from years-back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this also means it's the oldest IFC title in the collection that had an original run via IFC, besting A Christmas Tale by a year.

Y Tu Mama Tambien
and Following are IFC titles, aren't they? There were also hints that Miranda July is working on a upgrade of You and Me And Everyone We Know on her Twitter as well.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2491 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 pm
Omensetter wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Y Tu Mama Tambien
and Following are IFC titles, aren't they? There were also hints that Miranda July is working on a upgrade of You and Me And Everyone We Know on her Twitter as well.
The early Errol Morris documentaries were also licensed from IFC.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2492 Post by Omensetter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Sure---I can view the complete list of licensors on the home page; I was more referring to a specific strand of (perhaps former) IFC titles that they released theatrically and on home video, which includes the aforementioned Me and You and Everyone We Know, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Manderlay, Paranoid Park, Three Times, The Flight of the Red Balloon, et al.

But if they aren't on the IFC website and 4 Months is, then I probably have my answer.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2493 Post by Brian C » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Y Tu Mamá También was released theatrically by IFC, though.

colinr0380

#2494 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

But then MGM released Y Tu Mamá También on DVD at the time. Also the first US DVD edition of Following was released through Columbia Tristar (with Zeitgeist Films credited on the back cover)

whaleallright

#2495 Post by whaleallright » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:10 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am
A poster on the Criterion subreddit confirms that Harold Lloyd's The Kid Brother is being worked on for a possible announcement before the year's end.
this movie is a masterpiece and has at least one of the greatest visual gags in all of silent comedy.

bad future

#2496 Post by bad future » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:08 am

Is this normal? I just noticed Amazon's page for digitally renting or buying David Lean's The Passionate Friends shows it with a mock Criterion cover, with the "studio" listed as The Criterion Collection. Is Criterion in charge of the digital distribution for a lot of movies for which there is no physical release? Do they always make a digital "cover"? And does it have any bearing on whether a physical release might be on the way?

edit: well, as for how unique this is, one needn't look further than the related products which also show digital Criterion releases for Lean's Madeleine and Compton Bennett's The Seventh Veil. I reckon I have probably just "discovered" a practice already documented and familiar to everyone else?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2497 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:37 am

I think Young and Innocent has had Criterion branding on iTunes etc for years, so don't necessarily anticipate a speedy physical release

fdm

#2498 Post by fdm » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Right, plus that's similar to what those (and many other) titles look like on the Criterion Channel on FilmStruck when you get to the play screen. For about three more weeks anyway.

Calvin

#2499 Post by Calvin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:53 pm

At least some of the Kiarostami restorations appear to have been completed, with 4K restorations of Taste of Cherry and The Wind Will Carry Us (presumably still with Cohen, unless they work out a deal for an extensive box set) and 2K restorations of the Koker Trilogy, The Traveler, and Homework being released on Blu-Ray in Japan in February/March 2019.

Boosmahn

#2500 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Some Like It Hot and A Story From Chikamatsu have both been pushed back a week.