Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
hearthesilence

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3551 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 pm

It would still be worth issuing "Unknown Pleasures" on a Blu-Ray simply to bypass the compression inherent in DVD encoding. That alone would give a noticeably improved picture presentation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3552 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:36 pm

They've released plenty of crappy digital transfers on Blu-ray, like in the Olympics set I just finished

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3553 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 am

lzx wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 pm
In that case, I could see them putting out the first three together--not sure if Unknown Pleasures is well-known enough to warrant a standalone release--and hopefully including Xiaoshan Going Home in a new restoration too, as the available version looks nasty.
Xiao Shan Going Home is probably never going to look much better than it does now, being shot on sub-broadcast-quality SD video. Music rights might be a barrier to any commercial release.

Unknown Pleasures could look better if they went back to the Digibeta source instead of doing a new master from 35mm, though the results would look very different than any previous version.

hearthesilence

#3554 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 am
Unknown Pleasures could look better if they went back to the Digibeta source instead of doing a new master from 35mm, though the results would look very different than any previous version.
Criterion's BD reissue of Hoop Dreams is a good example of this. The previous DVD worked off of a film element, and I believe the commentary discusses how the original Digibeta was mastered to a film negative, where a lot of work was done to create a desirable look. The BD was completely different, going straight to the video source, and I get the impression that picture quality overruled any aesthetic look that would've involved picture degradation.

Ribs

#3555 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 am

IDK about their sourcing (it’s of course possible the journalist is in touch with Rialto who could have let the cat out of the bag), but this article from a local Hudson Valley publication says CC will be releasing Mr. Klein.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3556 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:19 am

It was enormously popular at Film Forum and held over for several weeks when it played recently.

Ribs

#3557 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 am

I definitely imagine CC would be interested but think it would be odd seeing as Rialto has also repeatedly said Christ Stopped at Eboli will not be released on video despite being its other most successful title from last year. But it has started to feel a little like Panique was a weird one-off considering its been nearly a year and a half since it was announced.

Toby Dammit

#3559 Post by Toby Dammit » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Will "Bruce Lee" be the only release of the month?
Last edited by Toby Dammit on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3560 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 pm

The newsletter didn't characterize it as "our July releases" so I would expect a few more titles

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3561 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:40 pm

July is a big month, there will probably be a full slate in addition to this set, they just wanted to highlight it separately

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3562 Post by cdnchris » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:53 pm

The press release sent out is more along the lines of the ones they sent out with the one-off announcements of the Olympics set and the Bergman set, so I'm guessing they will probably announce more either on the 15th or whenever they'll do it.

Harmonov

#3563 Post by Harmonov » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:40 pm
July is a big month, there will probably be a full slate in addition to this set, they just wanted to highlight it separately
Just in time for the July B&N sale.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3564 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Maybe stores will be open by then?

Close The Door, Raymond

#3565 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:36 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:05 pm
Maybe stores will be open by then?
The shutdown is definitely hurting B&N. But they still offer online buy-and-ship as well as curbside pickup.

"Let us know you’re here for curbside pickup. Give us your name, order number and make/model of your vehicle. We’ll bring your order to you."
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/curbside-pickup

Calvin

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3566 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Graphist wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am
Taking it with a grain of salt, but still,… according to one guy on Facebook (Criterion Considered group):
Just came back from a talk given by Kiarostami's son, Ahmad. According to him, Criterion is working on a Kiarostami box set with "all his films," to be released 2019!!! Koker Trilogy may be released separately however as its own set.
It's looking increasingly unlikely that there will be a complete Kiarostami set, so I wonder if Criterion will follow Potemkine in releasing a set with his Kanoon films despite having released The Traveler, The Report and Homework as extras on other Kiarostami releases. Otherwise, one would have thought that they would have included some on 24 Frames or the newly-announced Taste of Cherry upgrade.

yoloswegmaster

#3567 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Marriage Story, War of the Worlds, Taste of Cherry, and the Lady Eve have been uploaded.

Minkin

#3568 Post by Minkin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:37 pm

With a slight cough (its allergies!), we come around the bend to find another Speculation Rodeo! (July 2020 edition)

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - New Years Clue (Bruised Lee box)

Marriage Story - Confirmed as part of the Netflix deal

The War of the Worlds - No speculation; a surprise!

The Lady Eve - Upgrade (not speculated)

Taste of Cherry - Upgrade + part of the Janus Films Kiarostami retrospective
===========================================
229 upgrades remain

3 New Years clue boxes remain (Wong Kar Wai, Varda, and Fellini)

Despite having the rights to about all of his films, Criterion doesn't seem inclined to do a Kiarostami boxset. Of course there could still be one down the road (ala the Bergman upgrades over the years before the large set) - but perhaps don't hold your breath waiting for it.
====================================================================================

Now for this month's All-Around Cowpoke, it was a close match of single-correct-guessers; but after careful consideration amongst the judges, this month's winner is:

kcota17!

For correctly guessing the most leftfield announcement: The Lady Eve. Bonus points for correctly guessing two announcements in their March (June 2020 Rodeo) speculation (Lady Eve + Bruce Lee).

As always, you can pick up your lariat at the concession stand.

And with that, we conclude this month's Speculation Rodeo! Perhaps next month we will try taking the train.

DFR

#3569 Post by DFR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Imogen Sara Smith was on the Film Comment podcast and mentioned that she's recording a commentary for Sirk's All I Desire. She didn't mention Criterion, but given her relationship with them, it seems like a good possibility.

senseabove

#3570 Post by senseabove » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:48 pm

DFR wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 pm
Imogen Sara Smith was on the Film Comment podcast and mentioned that she's recording a commentary for Sirk's All I Desire. She didn't mention Criterion, but given her relationship with them, it seems like a good possibility.
I expect that's Kino. KLInsider has confirmed they have more Sirk and Stanwyck forthcoming, and Smith has recorded commentaries for Kino before, whereas I think she's only done short talking head pieces for Criterion.

DFR

#3571 Post by DFR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 pm

senseabove wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:48 pm
DFR wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 pm
I expect that's Kino. KLInsider has confirmed they have more Sirk and Stanwyck forthcoming, and Smith has recorded commentaries for Kino before, whereas I think she's only done short talking head pieces for Criterion.
She's done some essays for Criterion too. The one from Odd Man Out comes to mind. But that's good to know about the KLInsider confirmation!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3572 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:36 pm

Kino Lorber has licensed every other title in Universal’s Stanwyck box, so yeah, it’s almost certainly with them

dwk

#3573 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Guillermo del Toro tweeted
We are working hard to help Criterion to publish some Mexican Classics (including EL SUAVECITO ) and most of Mexican Bunuel.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3574 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Hope del Toro succeeds in getting all the major Mexican Bunuel released !!!

knives

#3575 Post by knives » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Or even all of them. I'm really glad we have him as Mexican cinema has been so good for decades but dreadfully underseen outside the country.