BD 21 Everybody in Our Family

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

BD 21 Everybody in Our Family

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Another Radu Jude film coming from Second Run, coming soon, hopefully on Blu-ray.

EDIT: I just realized that Tuesday After Christmas was Muntean, not Jude. Oops.

Aunt Peg

Re: Everybody in Our Family

#2 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 am

Great news.

Jude's Scarred Hearts (2017) recently received a DVD only release in the US by a little know label called Big World Pictures. Its a pretty impressive transfer.

My big wish is that Radu Jude's most recent and best of what I have seen of his work, I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians (2018) is picked by some enterprising UK or US label in the near future.

knives

Re: Everybody in Our Family

#3 Post by knives » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 am
Great news.

Jude's Scarred Hearts (2017) recently received a DVD only release in the US by a little know label called Big World Pictures. Its a pretty impressive transfer.
Thanks for pointing this out. I think this film cements Jude as Romanian's greatest treasure in a sea current with them. This had such a deep and profound effect on me even as Blecher is entirely new to me. I feel that many commentators are being distracted by the aesthetic, which is as good as everyone says, to the detriment of a very complex look at the history of antisemitism in Romania. In a sense this compliments Aferim!'s commentary on the treatment of the Romani. As befits his subject Jude turns to a more urbane style layered in western philosophy as a guard from the truth of a difference that everyone else makes note of. Some scenes as a result are deeply uncomfortable because of their humour such as one where after a slight attempt at defense Emmanuel merely simmers as a fellow invalid comically praises Hitler. It's also creepy how the state of Jewish masculinity mirrors the idea of a sick Europa with the sexual impulse and brain being the only surviving parts. In many respects the film mirror's Has' The Hourglass Sanatorium as a sort of Romanian equivalent. This character need not just be a modern take on Blecher. He is just as must Kafka, Rosenzweig, or a hundred others in their place. Yet somehow this death seems more kind then that which would ail Zweig, Benjamin, or Schulz among many others in the subsequent decade. At least Blecher can laugh at his mortality.

Pepsi

Re: Forthcoming: Everybody in Our Family

#4 Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm

hopefully on Blu-ray
ON BLU-RAY APRIL 2019

http://www.secondrundvd.com/comingsoon.html

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: BD 21 Everybody in Our Family

#6 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 am

Is this a BD-only release?

Bikey

#7 Post by Bikey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 am
Is this a BD-only release?
Yes - our first BD only release of a contemporary title.

dda1996a

#8 Post by dda1996a » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 am

How many folks who buy Second Run releases haven't yet upgraded to Blu-rays?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am

I wasn't complaining, only really noticed while trying to properly title this thread

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 am

I gather that complaints received by Powerhouse when Indicator went BD-only a year and a half ago were in the low single figures - a fair bit less than they'd anticipated.

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 am

Bikey

#12 Post by Bikey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 am

"Jude's second full-length feature is a marvellous example of the writer-director's insightful intelligence and deft craftsmanship... Jude handles the mood shifts expertly, balancing dramatic suspense and absurdist black comedy while ensuring every development rings true."

Geoff Andrew reviews in the latest Sight & Sound magazine

Aunt Peg

#13 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 am

Did know where else to post this but Radu Judes' I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians (2018) is being released on DVD only in the US by Big World Pictures on 24 March 2020. They are the same company that released Judes' Scarred Hearts. I'll also got out on a limb and say that I think it is his best film to date.

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 pm

Well this is another masterpiece from Jude, a kitchen-sink narrative embellishment of his first excellent short Alexandra that comically and devastatingly dances around fatal communication dereliction, before ultimately erupting into delirium of emotion. Jude takes his time capturing so many organic strengths and forms of resilience from his characters that we empathize with ease. They keep composure and compromise conditionally as respectful adults, that is until the baseline of animalistic violence surrounding recontextualized self-preservation from deep-rooted resentment in personal history hits its zenith. Jude's interest in the third act is to deny us that effortless alignment with our lead, refusing to choose a side as he reveals more complex pain, expectations, and desire than Marius may even be able to comprehend himself, and we begin to see beyond a fight/flight isolated incident into undertones about the issues that may have led to this hostility from the perspective of the illusory antagonistic, previously-diagnosed "bitch" in the mother.

There is no rigid endorsement, just a raw examination of helpless conflict- though Jude ventures deeper with paradoxical restraint, implicitly prompting us to wonder if this conflict is actually helpless after all, or if it's only helpless because the subjects are unable to overcome their barriers of anger into insight and humility about their rigidity. They are agents of change, but refuse to do so, and yet Jude doesn't condemn them for this either- instead he spends ample time directing us intimately around this space to meditate on the external and internal barriers, the love and the hate, the blame and the guilt, that exists and drives this dynamic, and through a crisis forces us to see it all as a grey fallibly-human tragedy.