Blu-only Releases?

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
peerpee
not perpee

Blu-only Releases?

#1 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:15 pm

I want to test the waters...

We have a dilemma. If we keep putting everything out on DVD and BD, it's very costly and it's slowing us down.

We'd love to be able to release titles BD-only. This is something which will annoy a bunch of people who just want to stick to their DVD players, but we're going to do it sooner or later.

We have to decide in the next day or two whether we're going to do CITY GIRL on DVD, or whether it's going to be our first BD-only title. If so, we'll be releasing a bunch of other BD-only titles throughout 2010 and this will enable us to get more BDs out.

We really don't have much interest now in making DVDs for films where superb HD masters exist.

How will this affect everyone here? Can you see why we need to do this?

Thanks!

fiddlesticks

Re: 86/8 City Girl

#2 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Speaking only for myself, if a desired title is available in both formats (and is region A or region-free for BD, as I'm region locked for Blu), I'll buy the DVD only if it is dramatically less expensive, say half the price or lower. That means that, for new releases, I would to opt for the BD probably every time, surely including this instance. So if MoC were to cease DVD production (and keep making their BDs region-free) it would likely not impact me at all.

Plus it would make aox very, very happy.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:51 pm

It is purely due to yourselves and BFI that I have embraced blu-ray, so as far as I'm concerned I would prefer blu only if it ups the output.

reno dakota

#4 Post by reno dakota » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 pm

If it will help you put out more titles, then I don't have a problem with your movement to BD-only releases. (In fact, this might be what motivates some of us, at last, to get our hands on Blu-ray players.) A continued commitment to region-free releases (where possible) would be of great help as well.

Davidspector

#5 Post by Davidspector » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Go for Blu

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:21 pm

While it's true that it can cost thousands to get the full effect of upgrading to Blu, it can cost as little as $100 or so now to just buy a player, which is technically all you need to be able to play the discs (even if a TV upgrade doesn't come until later). I don't see this as a huge barrier anymore. Some people might complain, but it could also push some over the edge to finally go Blu. I say go for it!

Also, if this means that future titles that might not be considered financially viable on two formats will be put out on Blu only instead of SD only, all the better!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:30 pm

As a teacher, DVDs are a big deal because I can bring them into any classroom and know the equipment will match up

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#8 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm going to say that taking the step and releasing Blu-Ray only will encourage fans to upgrade. I'm not opposed at all to having some releases be DVD only or Blu only (but I'm speaking solely as Blu-Ray owner, but I'd like to think that we here at the forum reflect a big part of the type of audience MoC aims for).

razumovsky

#9 Post by razumovsky » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

I've decided to go Blu Ray in the New Year. One of the main reasons is because of MoC's plans for City Girl and M. I had been thinking it would be something I'd get around to in a few years, but I'm beginning to feel I'm missing out. So, if I'm anything to go by, Blu Ray-only is the future. I'd guess where MoC lead, their fans will follow.

reno dakota

#10 Post by reno dakota » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:As a teacher, DVDs are a big deal because I can bring them into any classroom and know the equipment will match up
Does the PAL and/or R2 nature of many MoC releases not pose a problem for you with regard to classroom use? Or is your university more or less region-free/multi-system?

Der Spieler

#11 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I would've liked City Girl on DVD but I can understand why you'd rather go blu-ray only.

I currently don't own a blu-ray player so I'd stop buying MoC until I do, and I don't know when that will be.

jaredsap

#12 Post by jaredsap » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Go for Blu only.

akaten

#13 Post by akaten » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I'd have thought M would be the best place to start going blu Ray only (perhaps that is what peerpee is waiting to announce) but I agree with the others here, no point dragging out this transition as Criterion appear to be doing (and regret down the line) push people to go over to Blu Ray.

Not only will it cut costs doing multiple versions but do away with confusion over what can and cannot be made available on Blu Ray rather than DVD, instead of having to always explain the condition of material and restorations available for use to prevent people 'waiting' for a HD edition that may never arrive.

Wu.Qinghua

#14 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Dunno, it's up to you, but let's put it this way: I had voted for dvd/bluray-combos if I had joined this forum early enough to take part in that poll.
If you opt for blu only I wouldn't buy anything for quite some time as I won't upgrade in the nearer future ... I got's lots of DVDs, I am watching them not on a regular tv, but on my computer or with a beamer and I refuse to re-buy all that expensive equipment in the next months, I hate to watch them on my own, so I often go and see friends who don't have the equipment to watch those blus (some way like Domino) ... Can't see why I should upgrade and how I would finance that ...
But, anyway, as a fierce supporter of minor films and general rabble I might not belong to the closest clientele of MoC ... (No trolling intended, I just mentioned that for you evaluating this answer)
Last edited by Wu.Qinghua on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foggy eyes

#15 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Is Blu-only revenue for something like City Girl strong enough now then?

Go for it - the rest of us will catch up eventually. (Although, saying that, feel free to enclose a 50" plasma screen + PS3 instead of a booklet...)

Peacock

#16 Post by Peacock » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm not Blu yet, and wasn't intending to until towards the end of next year, when hopefully multiregion players will be cheap enough, but this would seriously encourage me to upgrade in January/Feb (although would probably result in me getting a region b locked player)

As others have said, the more titles being released - the better; and if releasing some Blu only achieves that - definitely go for it!!!

James

#17 Post by James » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Blu-ray only would be fine by me if you intend to release as many of them as region-free releases as possible.

mikkelmark

#18 Post by mikkelmark » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Go blue. I was kinda expecting an outcry, but so far it havent happened. Probably because the players are pretty cheap in both the us and uk now.

Highway 61

#19 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 pm

I vote for Blu. I'm definitely in the minority in that PAL speed-up is a real pet peeve of mine, so I own very few MoC discs. But now that Blu has put that problem to rest, I consider your releases work must-buys, even more so than Criterion.

And while I'm far from an expert in these matters, I can't see the demographic for MoC's films holding out on Blu-ray players that much longer. I doubt that the format will ever catch on to the degree of DVD with mainstream buyers, but they're never going to be interested in Murnau anyway.

Sanjuro

#20 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm

BFI's wild Blu-Ray selection convinced me to get a player. The films were great, sure, but more importantly it seemed to indicate to me the end of the 'only safe commercial prospects on Blu' period. If MOC start increasing their Blu-Ray output by making Blu-Ray only releases, I'll have been proved right and perhaps others will start to feel the change in the air and pick up some of those cheap players.

Also, if MOC make a clear statement that their films are either DVD or Blu-Ray I won't get hit with the 'what if it comes out in Blu next week' panic attack whenever I reach for the One-Click button. I mean, I feel proud when Nick says my purchase of Une femme mariée helped get the Blu-Ray release green-lit and I hope everyone enjoys it, but I really wish it didn't have to be this way.

Several years ago I used to take my DVD player round to my VHS owning friend's houses in order to watch movies, it's not all that difficult - especially if you've got a house full of film lovers who really need to watch the latest MOC release.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#21 Post by Tribe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, for whatever its worth...I still prefer the DVD format (it's been hashed and re-hashed elsewhere why). Twenty-plus "Blue-only" votes here is hardly representative of the consuming market. I understand where MOC is at, but speaking strictly for myself, it would be really disappointing for me if MOC goes Blu-ray only.

ccfixx

#22 Post by ccfixx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Blu-ray, baby!

After watching my blu-ray copy of "Soul Power" tonight, I was completely floored by the picture quality and sound. I currently own the four MOC blu-rays that aren't duplicated by Criterion and also Eureka's blu-rays of "Junebug" and "The Black Shield Of Falworth." This company definitely knows how to handle a high-def transfer.

CC

Oedipax

#23 Post by Oedipax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:46 am

Another vote for Blu-Ray. Having said that, I agree with some of the other posters who observe that this forum shouldn't be taken as a representative sample of the whole MoC-consuming public - doubtless there will be some level of opposition to Blu-exclusive titles. Ultimately you guys probably know better than any of us what will 'work' (i.e., keep MoC afloat and allow you to continue doing great work), so...

MortenR.

#24 Post by MortenR. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:07 am

I also think you should go for blu-ray only if it is viable economically speaking. And yes, as some have mentioned the price for a blu-ray player is now extremely low. I think that probably everybody who is interested in the sort of films that MoC is issuing can afford to make the move. Apart from that I think it would just be wonderful if all your films now came out exclusively on blu-ray. It would make sure that I would not miss any of your films (I cannot afford to buy all the blu-rays I do and DVDs as well - so I tend to ignore DVD releases) and it would push Blu-ray yet further towards general acceptance by the customers.

Finally, I do understand your desire to ignore the DVD medium, it must be increasingly tedious to master for a low rez DVD, when blu-ray just offers so much more.

Jonathan S

#25 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:26 am

I can at least play region B or region free Blu-rays (but not in Hi Def) thanks to a Sony player that was virtually dumped on me after it had been used once for an exhibition! I won't be upgrading my projector (I don't have a TV) for quite a while, partly it because that would involve sacrificing most of a £300 lamp, so until that happens I wouldn't buy any MoC Blu-rays where I already have a good DVD (which includes City Girl and M). But I probably would eventually.

But if Criterion goes Blu-ray only (and still region-locked), that would probably be the end of Criterion purchases for me, unless multi-region players become dramatically cheaper. (I would only consider a top brand like Panasonic, having had no end of trouble in the past with cheaper multi-region DVD players that others recommended.)