MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

The gossip on MoC. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3851 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm
Considering Indicator has no intention of releasing any non-English language films, you'd think MoC would at least focus their attention more there
That's what I thought too. It would also probably be considered as some kind of step back to the sources of what MoC were doing at the beginning. With more competition than ever in this segment, that'd make even more sense.

rapta

#3852 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm
Considering Indicator has no intention of releasing any non-English language films, you'd think MoC would at least focus their attention more there
I assume you mean the Sony library, in which case I'm wondering the same thing. Crowd-pleasers like Sollima's The Big Gundown and Honda's Mothra are available, as is Ringo Lam's Full Contact (which they'd be wise to consider if I'm correct in assuming they're planning to release John Woo's A Better Tomorrow as part of their current deal with Fortune Star).

As for MoC fare, Clouzot's La Vérité, Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies and Visconti's Sandra may be up for grabs, though Criterion may be interested in those.

dwk

#3853 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Criterion has  La Vérité and I have reason to suspect they will be announcing it soon.

Dr Amicus

#3854 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 am

Personally, I'm particularly pleased to see the release of Monkey Shines which I don't think I've seen since its original theatrical release - I remember it as being one of Romero's finest films (despite a last minute cheap shock added by the studio). At the time I was an undergraduate and was doing a course on Horror cinema - the course leader was a huge Romero fan and had chosen him as the subject for the Auteurism part of the class and Monkey Shines fitted very nicely into the Auteurist reading that he had proposed.

FrauBlucher

MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3855 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I’m hoping with The Golem getting a 4k restoration that MoC will release this. I know Kino will probably release it here in the states but I always prefer the MoC silent film editions more.

Apperson

#3856 Post by Apperson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:35 pm

About speculation in regards to other potential Fortune Star releases, there is this video showcasing their 4K/2K remasters.

Along with that is a list that has been posted around blu-ray.com. Already announced titles are in bold:
4K Remasters
The Big Boss
Fist of Fury
The Way of the Dragon
Game of Death
A Better Tomorrow
Police Story
Police Story II

Police Story III
Once Upon a Time in China
OUATIC II
OUATIC III

2K Remasters
A Chinese Ghost Story
Running Out of Time
Running Out of Time 2
Riki-Oh
The Adventurers
Iron Monkey
Black Mask
Black Mask II
The Cannonball Run
Battle Creek Brawl
Armour of God
City Hunter
Project A
Project A II

Wheels on Meals
Once Upon a Time in China and America (Do we know the source on the Eureka disc?)
Dr. Wai in "The Scriptures with No Words"
Personally gunning (pun intended) for A Better Tomorrow in MoC or Eureka Classics.

Finch

#3857 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Wheels on Meals is a great Jackie Chan film and hopefully that'll be on their acquisitions list for next year.

rapta

#3858 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Hoping for A Better Tomorrow and maybe Running Out of Time too. Both should be a good fit for MoC, I reckon (To's Mad Detective obviously being an early MoC Blu-ray title). The former would put a huge grin on my face - there has been no pre-Hollywood Woo available on UK Blu-ray to date.

And obviously Wheels on Meals and Battle Creek Brawl are no-brainers too, if we're talking Jackie Chan.

I was surprised they didn't announce A Chinese Ghost Story for October, but maybe they couldn't prep it in time (or are getting the box sets out of the way first).

Anyway, if we're right about A Better Tomorrow, hopefully it's only a matter of time before we get The Killer, Bullet in the Head and Heroes Shed No Tears too (once they've been restored of course). Some Ringo Lam stuff wouldn't go amiss either.