Masters of Cinema

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Cinephrenic

Masters of Cinema

#1 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:01 pm

Last edited by Cinephrenic on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#2 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:17 am

The new version of METROPOLIS will be the German intertitled version (for the first time in the UK or USA). It will also have a 28 page booklet, and a cover featuring original poster art, instead of a CGI robot :)

I believe the Kino version is one disc, and has everything crammed on it. The new Eureka/MoC release in January is over 2 x discs.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:57 am

WHAT IS SPINE #1???!!!

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:22 pm

We don't know yet. We have about 5 titles earmarked for it, and a few more nearly ready to earmark for it. We'll have to have a hard think.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#5 Post by ola t » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:40 am

Peerpee, are any of the titles that you just mentioned in the Kino thread a possibility for MoC?

(Fingers crossed for Erotikon with Swedish intertitles!)

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:47 pm

We were looking at SIR ARNE'S TREASURE a few months ago - but Kino's releases sort of kill any chance of us releasing them because we're trying very hard to concentrate on films that aren't out there yet.

If Kino muck 'em up we might have another look at these titles.

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:09 pm

Nick, about Die Nibelungen: is the transfer going to be substantially better than the Kino one? The thing is, I'm about to sell mine and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I love this film - was floored the first time I watch it - and I wouldn't mind upgrading it.

Also, it would be nice to include as extra pictures from the premiere booklets that were made at the time. They're beautifully made and gorgeously illustrated. I actually printed them from a site I'm not able to find out right now. This site is actually one of the better online resources about the Fritz Lang film and also about the original literary work.

peerpee
not perpee

#8 Post by peerpee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:14 pm

The reason DIE NIBELUNGEN's taking so long is that it's being restored again. The version we release later in 2005 will have German intertitles, and be quite something.

Thanks for the tip on the original programme.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:22 pm

Looks from the MoC websitge like SPIONE will be, along with ASPHALT, a March '05 release, What a month!

peerpee
not perpee

#10 Post by peerpee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:47 pm

At the current time, it looks like THE BLUE ANGEL, THE LAST LAUGH, SUNRISE, THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE, MABUSE: THE GAMBLER and M will be released with the same disc content. Most of them have been out for less than a year, and we're very happy with the transfers on all of them. They are simply entering the MoC Series when new copies need printing up.

As well as having new covers, they will also have booklets with new essays, reprints, etc.

Eureka titles that won't be entering the MoC Series *in their current form*: DER GOLEM, FAUST, NOSFERATU, and many others.

Once these reissues are out the way, we'll be able to concentrate on lots of new stuff for mid/late 2005, stuff that we're tying up at the moment.

Lino

#11 Post by Lino » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:24 am

It's official (at least for the rest of the world, that is...)

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?na ... e&sid=4872

denti alligator

#12 Post by denti alligator » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:57 pm

I can't seem to remove the subtitles on the German version of Michael. Are they removeable?

What's strange about it is that my computer and DVD player both allow "disabling" the subs, which suggests that there are subs to disable, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Were these English subs on the print you used to do the transfer?

denti alligator

#13 Post by denti alligator » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:07 pm

Will the Spies release include both English and German versions of the film?

(And what about those unremoveable subs on Michael?)

peerpee
not perpee

#14 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:10 am

What make is your DVD player? They're removable on every major brand of DVD player and computer that it's been tested on (over 20 brands).

No information about SPIES yet.

denti alligator

#15 Post by denti alligator » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:34 am

I've tried the disk on both my multi-region Jaton and on my PC.

I have the option of switching off the subtitles, it just doesn't remove them. Curiously my PC has as the two subtitle options "disable" and "subtitles 01", where it usually has "disable" and "English." It appears that something isn't right here.

Can others who have this DVD try it out please. Is it possible I got a defective disk?

I should note that I've never had trouble removing the subs on any other DVD -- and I remove them often.

peerpee
not perpee

#16 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:30 am

We've identified a small problem with an early batch of disc 2 of MICHAEL whereby the English subtitles cannot be removed by remote control.

If this bothers you, replacement copies can be had in January by sending just your disc 2 (send it loose, no case or packaging as it will only be recycled once received, ie. it doesn't matter if it gets scratched) to:

MICHAEL Disc 2 replacement
Eureka Video
Unit 9 Ironbridge Close
Great Central Way
LONDON
NW10 OUF, UK.

Lino

#17 Post by Lino » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:15 pm

Just got my Michael DVD in the mail today and was pleasantly impressed. Wonderful presentation overall! Haven't had the chance to watch the feature yet - but plan to, ASAP.

Anywho, just wanted to say, kudos for our forum member peerpee (aka, Nick Wrigley) for creating the audio interview with occasional imagery between a reporter and Dreyer himself: you know what, Criterion should turn to you when they need someone to do these sort of things - it's really well done and the 26 minutes flew by thanks to the pictures and captions that help the listener to contextualize him/herself about what was being said. This is something I would have liked CC to have done with the audio interviews to be found on the Cassavetes Box. Although precious and very informative, they're quite boring and hard to endure because nothing happens visually. In fact, I had to concentrate on other things for fear of falling asleep.

Back to Michael, wonderful release, you have my highest aproval and keep on with the good work!

peerpee
not perpee

#18 Post by peerpee » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:15 pm

Thanks for the kind comments Annie! (your cheque's in the post) :)

peerpee
not perpee

#19 Post by peerpee » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:45 pm

Both Hiroshi Teshigahara titles in February have full-length commentaries planned. When they've been recorded in early December, we'll announce more details.

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:45 pm

Eureka titles that won't be entering the MoC Series *in their current form*: DER GOLEM, FAUST, NOSFERATU, and many others.
Do prints of these films exist with original intertitles? I'm not sure I've even seen German editions of these with original interititles.

Anonymous

#21 Post by Anonymous » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:54 am

Doesn't the (albeit, hard-to-find) SPanish DVD of Faust have the original intertitles?

So, I take it we'll be getting a (deservedly) better transfer of FAUST at some point?...near future???

Will the March '05 release of Spies carry any extras? Essentially, I mean to ask whether I should hold off on the Kino release.

hamsterburger

#22 Post by hamsterburger » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:31 am

Regarding metropolis, i seem to remember there was some controversy regarding the speed at which the film was transferred. Will the Moc release be transferred at the same speed as the previous Eureka/Kino DVDs?

:?:

“At the Festival, METROPOLIS was shown at 20 Frames per second speed which was in accordance with the (newly arranged) music. But, the actual presentation in 1927 was 25 frames per second (according to film restorer & historian Enno Patalas) or even 28 frames per second (according to restorer Martin Koerber) depending on the source you are asking. Ironically, it was Koerber who suggested that 20 frames per second was the correct speed for the film. That was back in 2001., it was Koerber who suggested that 20 frames per second was the correct speed for the film.”

More info on this link. http://www.dvdscan.com/silent2.htm

peerpee
not perpee

#23 Post by peerpee » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:57 pm

The MoC discs will be identical to the German release.

There is a lot of conflicting information about the running speeds, and one inaccuracy in your statement (Koerber only claimed that the *second German version* (ie. the edited one) was shown at 28 fps). The latest that we have is from Koerber...

At the Ufa-Palast am Zoo in Berlin, on January 10, 1927, the length of the film was 4,189 metres. The showing lasted 153 minutes which suggests a projection speed of 24 fps, however the actual projection speed for the premiere is unclear. Noted on the deleted piano accompaniment for the shortened version is a projection speed of 28 fps, perhaps implemented to increase the speed of the shortened version and subsequently reduce the running time. Roland Schact reports of a running time lasting circa 140 minutes.

A Russian copy of the second German version was found to be 2hrs 4 mins, 3,241 metres, at 23 fps.

According to Patalas, the original presentation was 25 fps, and this is what's on the DVD. Furthermore, if one can comment on what "looks right", 25 fps "looks right".

peerpee
not perpee

#24 Post by peerpee » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:59 pm

We're looking at the possibility of a commentary on SPIES, but nothing is confirmed, yet.

We're looking at releasing the recently-found domestic print of FAUST in 2005, but nothing is confirmed.

hamsterburger

#25 Post by hamsterburger » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:25 pm

peerpee wrote:According to Patalas, the original presentation was 25 fps, and this is what's on the DVD. Furthermore, if one can comment on what "looks right", 25 fps "looks right".
Thanks very much for your quick response on the subject. It is such a joy to se that competent and informed people are working at releasing film treasures like Metropolis on home video. I already own the German DVD release, which now seems to be OOP, but I will certainly recommend the new MoC edition to all my friends. What the hell, I might get the new MoC release just to own a complete collection of these wonderful releases :)

Thanks again for helping me clear up my confusion on the subject:)

BTW, Are there any plans for releasing Dreyer’s Vampyr with original Danish intertitles?