BD 241-242 Ishirō Honda Double Feature: The H-Man + Battle in Outer Space

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
dwk

#1 Post by dwk » Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Synopsis: In Tokyo, a mysterious radioactive liquid is dissolving people into slimy, sentient, seemingly indestructible, blobs of destruction! Part-Japanese gangster noir, part-gooey body melting horror, The H-Man (Bijo to Ekitai-ningen – 'Beauty and the Liquid People') is one of the most unique sci-fi films of the 1950s.

A series of mysterious catastrophes sweep the globe, causing the world's scientists to conclude that beings from another planet are attacking Earth, and the world must unite to defend itself in a gigantic battle in outer space! With wonderful special effects sequences by Eiji Tsuburaya (Godzilla, Ultraman), and a rousing score by Akira Ifukube (Godzilla), Battle in Outer Space is a glorious sci-fi extravaganza.

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present two classics of Japanese sci-fi cinema, both directed by the great Ishirō Honda, for the first time ever on home video in the UK.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

INCLUDES JAPANESE AND ENGLISH VERSIONS OF EACH FILM, presented across two Blu-ray discs.
Original mono audio presentations
English subtitles (for Japanese versions) and English SDH (for English versions)
The H-Man: Brand new audio commentary with authors and Japanese sci-fi historians Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
The H-Man: Brand new audio commentary with film historian and writer David Kalat
Battle in Outer Space: Audio commentary with authors and Japanese sci-fi historians Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
Battle in Outer Space: Brand new audio commentary with film historian and writer David Kalat
Stills Galleries
A collector's booklet featuring essays by Christopher Stewardson and Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp (Midnight Eye)
O Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]

STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 16.

knives

Re: Forthcoming: The H-Man & Battle in Outer Space

#2 Post by knives » Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Not Honda's best, but a lot of fun. If it weren't for Sony doing likewise I'd be surprised at this pairing given The Mysterians.

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Also surprised they didn't get Mothra from Sony...unless they have, and this is their way of easing us into some Honda goodness!

knives

#4 Post by knives » Mon May 18, 2020 4:32 pm

That would be a delight though on the larger topic I wish someone would release my personal favorite, Varna the Unbelievable. When I was a kid I wrote a whole script featuring him. It was a pretty brilliant idea too. Bifurcated King Kong style with the first half being a classic romance set on the Italian coast that Varan just fucks up.

Orlac

#5 Post by Orlac » Tue May 19, 2020 3:06 am

Yay, somebody else who is a Varan fan!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Synopsis: In Tokyo, a mysterious radioactive liquid is dissolving people into slimy, sentient, seemingly indestructible, blobs of destruction! Part-Japanese gangster noir, part-gooey body melting horror, The H-Man (Bijo to Ekitai-ningen – 'Beauty and the Liquid People') is one of the most unique sci-fi films of the 1950s.

A series of mysterious catastrophes sweep the globe, causing the world's scientists to conclude that beings from another planet are attacking Earth, and the world must unite to defend itself in a gigantic battle in outer space! With wonderful special effects sequences by Eiji Tsuburaya (Godzilla, Ultraman), and a rousing score by Akira Ifukube (Godzilla), Battle in Outer Space is a glorious sci-fi extravaganza.

The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present two classics of Japanese sci-fi cinema, both directed by the great Ishirō Honda, for the first time ever on home video in the UK.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

INCLUDES JAPANESE AND ENGLISH VERSIONS OF EACH FILM, presented across two Blu-ray discs.
Original mono audio presentations
English subtitles (for Japanese versions) and English SDH (for English versions)
The H-Man: Brand new audio commentary with authors and Japanese sci-fi historians Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
The H-Man: Brand new audio commentary with film historian and writer David Kalat
Battle in Outer Space: Audio commentary with authors and Japanese sci-fi historians Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski
Battle in Outer Space: Brand new audio commentary with film historian and writer David Kalat
Stills Galleries
A collector's booklet featuring essays by Christopher Stewardson and Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp (Midnight Eye)
O Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]

STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 16.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: BD 241-242 Ishirō Honda Double Feature: The H-Man + Battle in Outer Space

#7 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 pm

David Kalat!

J Wilson

Re: BD 241-242 Ishirō Honda Double Feature: The H-Man + Battle in Outer Space

#8 Post by J Wilson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:12 am

I wish I hadn't bought the Mill Creek disc from a few months ago, because this is obviously the better package. I liked The H-Man; the body melting effects were grosser than I expected for a film of that time. Battle in Outer Space, despite the various action sequences, was a forgettable slog. Again, nice effects work, but that's about it.