119 Park Row

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
triodelover

Re: 119 Park Row

#26 Post by triodelover » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:33 pm

zedz wrote:Stone-cold sober movie karaoke: The Turin Horse, except for whatever unfortunate bugger has to play The Wind.
Or the boiled potato(es).

peerpee
not perpee

#27 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:34 pm

What was labelled as an M&E track on WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? turned into a crazy "scratch" track featuring temporary music.

"Alternate music & effects track with a different musical score for the opening of the picture and other ‘temporary’ effects-placement"

These things can turn out to be very valuable and interesting!

MichaelB

#28 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:13 am

I love the M&E track on Rumble Fish.

Not least because it's possible to select that option alongside hard-of-hearing subtitles, which makes the film almost seem like the silent films that were clearly a massive influence on Coppola.

kneelzod

#29 Post by kneelzod » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm

peerpee wrote:They're often squirrelled away on the HD masters (which have many audio tracks for such things). Footage used for credit sequences it also sometimes at the end of HD masters, looking astonishing, and without any text overlays. MoC were very pleased to be able to use the textless opening sequence of SILENT RUNNING for the Blu-ray motion menu (which looks amazing, I think).

If the M&E tracks are given to you, why not put it on the disc for posterity too? That was our thinking. I now find it annoying when studios don't do it, because of "music licensing issues" or some such bullshit excuse for laziness.
As a film score aficionado, I love having the M & E tracks, though a plain old isolated music track is even better. On something like WIZARDS, which has had no stand-alone score release, the M & E track is a pretty sweet feature (one that is not included on the American counterpart). So, thanks, and please continue! :D

JPJ

#30 Post by JPJ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 am

Another winner for MoC,Beaver on Park Row:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_revi ... rk_row.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:05 am

There's a lengthy double-page review in the current Sight & Sound, commissioned at the last minute after the planned review of the Universal Hitchcock set had to be postponed. Given that Peerpee had done so much work on the latter, it seemed only fair to give his old label a boost.

GaryC

#32 Post by GaryC » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

For the record, the region-coding of Park Row is a little unusual - Regions 1, 2 and 3, NTSC.

Mathew2468

#33 Post by Mathew2468 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 pm

So DVD players and TVs in Europe support both PAL & NTSC? :-k Gittin' scrood ova heah.

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 am

Pretty much. I think Nick said that Eureka had had just one complaint about a disc being NTSC, from someone with a really ancient television.

knives

#35 Post by knives » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 pm

To the best of my knowledge MOC hasn't even released a disc in PAL since the Costa.

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:21 pm

knives wrote:To the best of my knowledge MOC hasn't even released a disc in PAL since the Costa.
Yes, and that was shot on PAL video in the first place, so it was actually a selling point over the Criterion.

Plenty of other labels release in Europe in NTSC - it's very common indeed in the classical music world, partly to achieve economies of scale, partly because there are no pitch-shift issues.

peerpee
not perpee

#37 Post by peerpee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 pm

The TESTAMENT DVD in the recent Dual Format edition was PAL because it came from the MABUSE box (where the other two films were PAL, so we reluctantly made TESTAMENT PAL too for consistency across the box).

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:28 am

If NTSC discs play in Europe without problems these days, it makes no sense why some European releases even bother with NTSC to PAL transfers on some discs.

I'm very surprised with the screenshots of the MGM disc looking so green compared to the Eureka. Reminds me of how the BFI "Godzilla" looked as well.

peerpee
not perpee

#39 Post by peerpee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 am

manicsounds wrote:If NTSC discs play in Europe without problems these days, it makes no sense why some European releases even bother with NTSC to PAL transfers on some discs.
I've been banging that drum for 9 years and led by example! :)

JPJ

#40 Post by JPJ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 am

Park Row arrived yesterday(with Die Nibelungen,thank you Eureka!).I went through the extras and the booklet and these reminded me how much I love Fuller as a raconteur.He claimed that he had $201000 in the bank and used $1000 for vodka and cigars and the rest to finance PR.Personally I find it hard to believe that he would have spent ALL his money on just one film but a good story is always better than a boring truth!

PVA

#41 Post by PVA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Are the special features in NTSC as well?

Or any reason why this wouldn't play in my US dvd player?

peerpee
not perpee

#42 Post by peerpee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:20 pm

A DVD can't have mixed NTSC and PAL footage on it. If the feature is NTSC, the extras will be too, and if the feature is PAL, the extras will be PAL too.

kneelzod

#43 Post by kneelzod » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 pm

kneelzod wrote:
peerpee wrote:They're often squirrelled away on the HD masters (which have many audio tracks for such things). Footage used for credit sequences it also sometimes at the end of HD masters, looking astonishing, and without any text overlays. MoC were very pleased to be able to use the textless opening sequence of SILENT RUNNING for the Blu-ray motion menu (which looks amazing, I think).

If the M&E tracks are given to you, why not put it on the disc for posterity too? That was our thinking. I now find it annoying when studios don't do it, because of "music licensing issues" or some such bullshit excuse for laziness.
As a film score aficionado, I love having the M & E tracks, though a plain old isolated music track is even better. On something like WIZARDS, which has had no stand-alone score release, the M & E track is a pretty sweet feature (one that is not included on the American counterpart). So, thanks, and please continue! :D
Andrew Belling's WIZARDS score has been released on limited edition CD by LaLaLand! However, they were unable to locate the elements for the main title track, unfortunately. So, if you've got Eureka Blu-ray you can possibly lift a decent quality iteration of that track from there.

http://lalalandrecords.com/Wizards.html

jbeall

#44 Post by jbeall » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:46 am

This was my first time viewing Park Row and I loved it. It's up there with my Fuller faves. I really loved the way he's able to move the camera around in tight spaces, which is I suppose is a necessary skill if you're shooting on the budget he had. Great booklet from MoC, too.

DeprongMori

#45 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm

FWIW, while copies of Eureka! Masters of Cinema Park Row DVD seem to still be available inexpensively from BestMediaGroup on Amazon UK, it seems to be entirely MIA from Eureka's own site -- with not even a "This product has been discontinued." Not sure why it has ceased to exist in the records there.

Glad I picked it up. It's become one of my favorite of Fuller's films. He was obviously passionate about the subject, and it shows in all its pulpy glory.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Eureka usually just deletes a release from their website when it goes OOP, this is sadly standard operating procedure for them

therewillbeblus

#47 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm
FWIW, while copies of Eureka! Masters of Cinema Park Row DVD seem to still be available inexpensively from BestMediaGroup on Amazon UK, it seems to be entirely MIA from Eureka's own site -- with not even a "This product has been discontinued." Not sure why it has ceased to exist in the records there.

Glad I picked it up. It's become one of my favorite of Fuller's films. He was obviously passionate about the subject, and it shows in all its pulpy glory.
Thanks for pointing this out, here's the link in case anyone wants to grab this before it's all gone (great timing for the '50s project!)

hearthesilence

#48 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:56 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Eureka was clearing this title out on Amazon.co.uk for £3.99 only a few years ago - a shame it's going OOP. I was hoping someone, maybe the Film Foundation, would fund a 4K restoration or at least create an HD master since none appears to exist anywhere, but so far nothing. It's probably my favorite Fuller film, one that shouldn't work when you read some of the details but it's glorious fun and invigorating in its unabashed idealism.