BD 44-45 Double Indemnity & The Lost Weekend

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Gregory

Re: BD 44-45 Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend

#26 Post by Gregory » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Ed Sikov makes a similar comment in his Wilder biography, but who knows?

triodelover

#27 Post by triodelover » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Went back and watched the doc on the 2006 SE. The scene is depicted in stills and there are actually three - one of Neff being walked to the gas chamber, one of Keyes as a witness shot through the chamber from the opposite side, and one that may have been intended as a publicity still shot from outside the chamber showing the witnesses including Keyes and Neff slumped over in the chamber's chair. The narration mentions the scene is lost.

SamLowry

#28 Post by SamLowry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Well this finalizes it. Time to get a multi-region blu ray player.

Jeff

#29 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

SternDiet wrote:
Jeff wrote:The gas chamber ending is lost. All that remains are a couple of stills (which are probably what triodelover saw on that doc).
Do you know this for a fact? James Naremore seems to suggest in 'More Than Night' that it is in fact somewhere locked away in Paramount's vaults.
Naremore says, "Until someone rescues this scene from the Paramount vaults, we will never know if it is superior to the current version, and even then there may be room for debate." I think he was just assuming that they still had it. Noirchaelogist Eddie Muller says, "The gas chamber scene has never been found and probably won't be, unless it was smuggled out of the studio, which is not likely. It has been searched for, believe me."

The fact that Uni mentions in the doc that it is lost certainly seems to confirm that.

triodelover

#30 Post by triodelover » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Jeff wrote:The fact that Uni mentions in the doc that it is lost certainly seems to confirm that.
There were plenty of clips from the film in the doc. There was enough time spent on the alternative ending in a somewhat short documentary that one could conclude that if it was available they would have shown it rather than the stills. I think it was Eddie Muller himself who mentioned that Wilder didn't want this particular ending - didn't even want to film it and make it available- because he feared the studio would force it on him to satisfy the code.

Jeff

#31 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Jeff

#32 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Nick tweeted the menu he's working on for The Lost Weekend. Note that one of the extras is apparently Volker Schlöndorff's Billy, How Did You Do It?. I believe that the original German series included six 45-minute episodes. A very truncated (71 minute) version was shown on TCM in the U.S. as Billy Wilder Speaks. That cut was later released on DVD by Kino with an additional 70 minutes of the excised footage as a bonus feature. If MoC has the entire four and a half hours, it'd be quite a coup.

Also, this:
Nick, on Twitter, wrote:All the living directors we've ever worked with have been above and beyond brilliant in every way. Claude Lanzmann, Peter Watkins, Alex Cox, Monte Hellman, Pedro Costa, Albert Maysles, Toshio Matsumoto, Alain Resnais, Al Reinert, Doug Trumbull, etc - and the latest to add Mr Volker Schlöndorff, who's made us all laugh and been a complete star. Respect to all these chaps. We def need to inc some women soon!

Calvin

#33 Post by Calvin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 am

According to Twitter, it's the BBC Arena edit.

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 am

Calvin wrote:According to Twitter, it's the BBC Arena edit.
...which was shown in three 60-minute parts in 1992, so considerably longer than the TCM edit, if not quite the length of the German original. Though logic would suggest that the latter was closer to four hours than four-and-a-half, once you factor in things like repeated credits and rounding episode running times up to 45 mins.

Presumably the major advantage of the Arena version is that it's the longest cut available with subtitles already translated - if I remember rightly, large chunks of it are in German (no great surprise, since it's Schlöndorff and Wilder's native language).

manicsounds

#35 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:30 am

So if they keep it in Standard Definition, it wouldn't be too much a problem, right?

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:33 am

manicsounds wrote:So if they keep it in Standard Definition, it wouldn't be too much a problem, right?
Surely something like this would have been filmed in SD in the first place? Anyway, the use of the Arena cut strongly suggests an SD master.

What A Disgrace

#37 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am

Isn't it about time that we got the full details on these two titles?

TMDaines

#38 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 am

What A Disgrace wrote:Isn't it about time that we got the full details on these two titles?
And full specs are up. Pretty sweet!

evillights

#39 Post by evillights » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

TMDaines wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:Isn't it about time that we got the full details on these two titles?
And full specs are up. Pretty sweet!
The following item was inadvertently left off of the Double Indemnity special features, and has now been added:

• Audio commentary by film historian Nick Redman and screenwriter Lem Dobbs

TMDaines

Re: BD 44-45 Double Indemnity & The Lost Weekend

#40 Post by TMDaines » Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 pm

That's some welcome news too! Your releases are always much more exciting to dive into when there's a nice amount of extras to look at after the film.

Max von Mayerling

#41 Post by Max von Mayerling » Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Great news - I was previously comparing the specs to the Universal dvd, and was thinking maybe I was too hasty in unloading mine (without ever having listened to either commentary) - and you all picked up the commentary that sounded more interesting to me (& that beaver raves about). Very exciting.

manicsounds

#42 Post by manicsounds » Sat May 12, 2012 9:29 am

I'm not sad that the Richard Schickel commentary got snipped. The Dobbs and Redman one was infinitely better. Has anyone heard the Professor Geoff Mayer commentary on the Australian DVD?

eerik

#43 Post by eerik » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:55 am

eerik

#44 Post by eerik » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 pm

manicsounds

#45 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

dvdbeaver review of "Lost Weekend"
Yup, the BBC documentary is the 3 hour version

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

These are two lesser Wilders for me but man, with those extras (and having just sold my two-disc Double Indemnity for big bux), how can I resist?

tajmahal

#47 Post by tajmahal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 am

domino harvey wrote:These are two lesser Wilders for me but man, with those extras (and having just sold my two-disc Double Indemnity for big bux), how can I resist?
This is the most thrilling 'supplement for a film I have not seen/heard of or had no intention of buying' since Moc's 'La gueule ouverte'.

Ordered!

eerik

#48 Post by eerik » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 am

Dick Laurent

#49 Post by Dick Laurent » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 am

Just received the two steelbooks, unfortunatly Double Indemnity has very sticky glue on the front from the paper info sheet.
This is the first MOC steelbook with that problem. Lost weekend had the usual non sticky glue.

Does anyone know how to remove it without getting the paint from the steelbook ?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#50 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am

What is it about special edition releases of Double Indemnity that compels studios to use very sticky glue?

Anyway - you can go out and get some Goo Gone, which is designed to remove adhesive without damaging the surface of an object. I can't speak to whether it'll leave this particular type of case unscathed, but my guess would be yes. I'm sure someone else can contribute with that detail.