101 / BD 8 City Girl

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Oedipax

Re: 86/8 City Girl

#76 Post by Oedipax » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 am

Jeff wrote:Thanks to Eureka, I just received this disc in my grubby American hands today, 12 days before the UK street date.
Well, it's official. My local mail delivery stinks. I'm on the east coast and haven't received mine yet!

TMDaines

#77 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Jeff wrote:
perkizitore wrote:Shouldn't someone delete 86 from the title of he thread since this didn't get a DVD release?
The 86 has been 86ed, but I wasn't quite sure how to number this now since MOC 8 is Metropolis. The "b" is both for Blu-ray, and in honor of Criterion laserdiscs which used to designate spines with "b" for CLV/CAV versions. If Nick/Craig/Jon have a preferred nomenclature, I'd be glad to change it.

Thanks to Eureka, I just received this disc in my grubby American hands today, 12 days before the UK street date. Scanned the booklet and watching the disc now. Both are as impressive as I expected. Congrats on another job amazingly well done!
8b is really uneasy on the eyes at a glance. Wouldn't just an asterisk be better? For dual releases like Tokyo Sonata thread titles could be "81 & 3* Tokyo Sonata".

peerpee
not perpee

Re: 8b City Girl

#78 Post by peerpee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 pm

8 CITY GIRL (BD)

might be best

jbaart

#79 Post by jbaart » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

or "BD 8 City Girl"

skuhn8

#80 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:32 pm

peerpee wrote:8 CITY GIRL (BD)

might be best
I don't know, peerpee--the combination of all-caps and parentheses make my molars ache. And then there's that rash--well, let's not even go there. How about something like ou8 City Girl 2?

Jeff

Re: 8 (BD) City Girl

#81 Post by Jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:11 pm

jbaart wrote:or "BD 8 City Girl"
I like that, but it looks like a headline from a Variety story about Law and Order SVU star B.D. Wong going down on Mary Duncan, which is unlikely for a variety of reasons.

How about 8 (BD) City Girl

I feel like an optometrist. Better here, or better here. One or two?

tajmahal

#82 Post by tajmahal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

peerpee wrote:8 CITY GIRL (BD)

might be best
City Girl 8: Grain is Good

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#83 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 pm

I like dashes. Either BD-8 or 8-BD. I call for a forum vote!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 pm

There's no Wong answer, but I do prefer Jeff's first instinct of BD 8 City Girl

Tommaso

#85 Post by Tommaso » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Seconded.

peerpee
not perpee

#86 Post by peerpee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:00 pm

BD 8 City Girl

makes sense.

--

Why everything needs to be on Blu-ray forthwith:

HerrSchreck

#87 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Gasp!

Jesus H Christmas... you could frigging fingerprint, and pull up a yellow sheet on Mary Duncan simply popping in the frigging Blu.

Amazing.

Jeff

Re: BD 8 City Girl

#88 Post by Jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Watched it twice last night (once with the great Kalat commentary). It is truly a thing of beauty. My favorite purchase in a looooong time.

perkizitore

#89 Post by perkizitore » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Nick, can you post some more pictures?
Last edited by perkizitore on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#90 Post by peerpee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

HerrSchreck

#91 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Good god, man.

I guess this is an appropriate a time as any to reveal I got an all-region BD player for Xmas... and a to-be-ordered HD TV of my choice for my just passed B'day. So prepare for-- if BD's like this keep coming out-- my impending quiet alliance with aox......

tajmahal

#92 Post by tajmahal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Jesus, that is some sales presentation, Nick. Any chance you might be planning to give Caligari the same treatment, print condition permitting?

Matt

#93 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Poor Jack Pennick. Was there ever an uglier man? And HD certainly does him no favors.

triodelover

#94 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Matt wrote:Poor Jack Pennick. Was there ever an uglier man? And HD certainly does him no favors.
He's not an actor, but let's not forget Don Mossi. :shock:

wllm995

#95 Post by wllm995 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Wow!

ANOTHER wonderful release by MOC - terrific transfer; great commentary by David Kalat; a keeper!!

:D

triodelover

#96 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 pm

david hare wrote:Well you know what they say about guys with big noses.
No, David, what do they say? 8-[ Are the ears an "enhancement"?

bollibasher

#97 Post by bollibasher » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:47 am

tajmahal wrote:Any chance you might be planning to give Caligari the same treatment, print condition permitting?
Is there a print of Caligari good enough for HD?

My understanding is that the clearest print is the russian-derived one with frame line printed in (released in a Shepard edition by Image with cropped/zoomed-in scenes), and the alternative is the colour-tinted restoration by Bundesarchiv-Filmarchiv (released by Kino with anglicised intertitles), in which some of the earlier scenes look quite appalling due to using 2nd/3rd/?-generation bleached out 16mm sources to eliminate the frame-line issue.

Presumably unless some major restoration effort is embarked upon to use the russian print and digitally magic away the frame-line (not simple due to the upper half of the picture being slightly mis-aligned with the lower), we're unlikely to see a beautiful picture for Caligari.

If there has been some progress on this front and I have missed it please forgive me!

Chris

RossyG

#98 Post by RossyG » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:46 am

david hare wrote: Well you know what they say about guys with big noses.
They use big tissues.

Those pics look amazing. Can't wait to get my copy.

tajmahal

#99 Post by tajmahal » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 pm

bollibasher wrote:
tajmahal wrote:Any chance you might be planning to give Caligari the same treatment, print condition permitting?
Is there a print of Caligari good enough for HD?

My understanding is that the clearest print is the russian-derived one with frame line printed in (released in a Shepard edition by Image with cropped/zoomed-in scenes), and the alternative is the colour-tinted restoration by Bundesarchiv-Filmarchiv (released by Kino with anglicised intertitles), in which some of the earlier scenes look quite appalling due to using 2nd/3rd/?-generation bleached out 16mm sources to eliminate the frame-line issue.

Presumably unless some major restoration effort is embarked upon to use the russian print and digitally magic away the frame-line (not simple due to the upper half of the picture being slightly mis-aligned with the lower), we're unlikely to see a beautiful picture for Caligari.

If there has been some progress on this front and I have missed it please forgive me!

Chris
Thanks for the update. I watched the eureka edition recently, and wondered aloud how wonderful it would be to see those sets in hi-def. As it is a bona-fide classic, perhaps interested parties might pool resources and attempt a restoration.

Forrest Taft

#100 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Received this marvelous blu-ray today, and spent the evening watching the film twice, the second viewing with the commentary track. I hadn´t seen the film before, and after the first viewing I was so taken with the film I was ready to declare it my favourite Murnau. After hearing David Kalat ridiculing certain aspects of the ending, I´m not so sure. I agree with much of what he´s saying, but still thought it an emotionally satisfying ending. Maybe I´m just more sentimental than him; I also love the ending of The Magnificent Ambersons. Anyway, this is certainly no minor Murnau, and I really enjoyed all the performances, Mary Duncan in particular.
Tommaso wrote:Although I didn't expect it to happen, it would have been a treat if there had been a different score. I always found the hillbilly-tones of the Caliendo - which is also on the Fox disc- slightly inappropriate.
Also, I loved the score, and find it hard to imagine the film without it. Though I´m still pretty much a newbie when it comes to silents, I can´t recall being this impressed by silent score since watching Jeanne d´Arc with the Richard Einhorn score.

The disc itself is obviously terrific, with a truly gorgeous transfer. After hearing, and enjoying, the John Bailey track on Sunrise, I was hoping he´d contribute to this release. After all, he worked on Days of Heaven, and hearing his thoughts on how City Girl influenced the Malick flick could have been interesting. Hardly worth complaining about though, as the track by David Kalat is one of the best I´ve heard. Very well researched and informative. My favourite bit of trivia: Elliott Lester, author of the play in which the film is based, was the father of Richard Lester.

Halfway through the film, I paused it, went to amazon and ordered Tartuffe and Phantom/Die Finanzen Des Großherzogs, as well as reserving the Lotte Eisner book at the library. Good work, MoC.
By the way, has anyone here seen the sound version?