Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
thirtyframesasecond

Re: Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

#2026 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am

charal wrote:The Malle set has been pushed to July 17
Ah, I assumed something was happening as Malle's stuff is all on Curzon Home Cinema for streaming.

kekid

#2027 Post by kekid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Ah, I assumed something was happening as Malle's stuff is all on Curzon Home Cinema for streaming.
And now pushed to September 11.

kekid

#2028 Post by kekid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:38 pm

I have tried to find Simenon's story / Novel on which Bela Tarr's "The Man from London" is based. I looked for an English translation of this, without success. If anyone knows where I can find this, I will be grateful. (I have posted this here, because the DVD is from AE).

mistakaninja

#2029 Post by mistakaninja » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:54 am

It's known as "Newhaven-Dieppe" in English. I don't think there's a currently in-print edition, but the old green cover Penguin (a double edition with "The Man From Everywhere," which is the English title for "Le Relais d'Alsace") should be fairly easily available from Amazon marketplace sellers etc.

kekid

#2030 Post by kekid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:53 pm

mistakaninja wrote:It's known as "Newhaven-Dieppe" in English. I don't think there's a currently in-print edition, but the old green cover Penguin (a double edition with "The Man From Everywhere," which is the English title for "Le Relais d'Alsace") should be fairly easily available from Amazon marketplace sellers etc.
Thank you!

perkizitore

#2031 Post by perkizitore » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 pm

I find it curious that they have announced so many director sets to be released in such short succession, but they still have not gotten around to releasing the long awaited Haneke set.
Artificial Eye if you are reading this, please do an Angelopoulos set next!

Gregory

#2032 Post by Gregory » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 pm

perkizitore wrote:I find it curious that they have announced so many director sets to be released in such short succession, but they still have not gotten around to releasing the long awaited Haneke set.
Are all the needed restorations completed?

kekid

#2033 Post by kekid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm

kekid wrote:
thirtyframesasecond wrote:
And now pushed to September 11.
And now to 16 October.

charal

#2034 Post by charal » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 am

I've gone through the MALLE FEATURES box and can report a mixed bag of transfers. Overall quality is good but I cannot help but feel that the black and white films should have a tad more detail. The two early 70s films look great but I still feel more detail could be possible. (I haven't seen the Criterions.) Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't trust AE as to consistent quality control. (I refer you all to the recent Tarkovskys.) MAY FOOLS looks the best of the colour films as does the 16mm DINNER WITH ANDRE which, unlike the 1.66:1 Criterion, is framed fully at 1.33:1

The booklet is very good, it consists mostly of Malle's retrospective comments with few articles by other critics thrown in.

thirtyframesasecond

#2035 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Anyone got the documentaries set? I'll probably grab both though tbh.

GaryC

#2036 Post by GaryC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:I can't see Guimarães the part of the portuguese portfolio film Centro Historico shared with Pedro Costa Victor Erice and Manoel De Oliveira
If you're in the UK, Mubi have Centro Histórico available to stream in HD, until 6 December.

criterionsnob

#2037 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 pm

April 23: 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days

Certainly encouraging that maybe the long gestating Criterion release will be announced soon.

AidanKing

#2038 Post by AidanKing » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:13 am

Artificial Eye has released Kornél Mundruczó's Jupiter's Moon on DVD. It got mixed reviews at Cannes last year but MichaelB seemed to like it in his review for Sight and Sound.

bdsweeney

#2039 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Gary states that the image of Artificial Eye's blu release of The Return 'has a strong teal-leaning' ... and how.

I've only seen the film once, in the cinema on its release. But I have strong memories of the spell it put me under and have been hoping for a blu release for a long time.

While I remember a muted colour pallet I don't recall it looking anything so blue as the caps DVD Beaver shows. Does anyone recall if this blu release resembles the original look of the film?

MichaelB

#2040 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I've just had a quick spin through my now ancient Artificial Eye DVD, and if anything it's more blue than the BD! So I wouldn't worry.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2041 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Not an exact match, but here's a screencap from the older DVD that you can match to the boy's clothing in the DVDBeaver caps:

bdsweeney

#2042 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks Michael and Domino, I appreciate the efforts. Maybe the 'blue of the blu' isn't as bad as I first feared.

ellipsis7

#2043 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 am

Drawn by the good reviews, as LET THE SUNSHINE IN opened in cinemas yesterday, interestingly last evening, prompted by an ad in The Guardian, we opted not to go in to town to see it but watched it at home streamed in HD from Curzon Home Cinema for £10 (48 hour rental)... There was really little not to like about the experience, although obviously nothing can match a full theatrical presentation...

neilist

#2044 Post by neilist » Wed May 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Amazon listings suggest upcoming Blu-ray releases are Godard's 'Week-end' in July and Bresson's 'Un Condamné À Mort S'Est Échappé Ou Le Vent Souffle Où Il Veut' in August, plus Ozon's new film 'L'Amant Double'.

hearthesilence

#2045 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Has anyone seen The Agnès Varda Collection yet? It was released back in September. I presume it's using the recent restorations of these titles. Having seen a few projected at MoMI (all DCP's, all with introductory cards detailing the restoration work), they should look great on Blu-Ray, but I'm reluctant to spring for an Artificial Eye box set given their track record.

fdm

#2046 Post by fdm » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm

I've been through the first 5/8 of the Varda box, it's been quite nice. They've so far all included restoration comments before each film, so yes probably the same source material. (No color issues that I've noticed either.)

The last 3 I've never seen, and once I'm done with those I intend to go through that big Varda dvd box from France and check out the rest. I usually take my time going through box sets, so could be a while to get through all that, but the ball is rolling.

hearthesilence

#2047 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks! Good to hear - I may pick this up the next time there’s a sale, but regardless I doubt a U.S. counterpart will come along anytime soon since at least two labels are distributing these titles here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2048 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 pm

AE boxes drop pretty reliably after a year or two. I'd set up a CamelCamelCamel notification for whatever your price point is and wait

Gregory

#2049 Post by Gregory » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Most of the big recent-ish AE Blu-ray boxes—Buñuel, both Malle sets, Tarkovsky, Melville—have already dropped to low price points of £44.99–49.99 at Amazon UK, possibly as part of some kind of promotion. Are they really likely to drop further anytime soon?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2050 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Melville and Bunuel are StudioCanal, not AE, but that's about what I paid for them