Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#101 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:11 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:22 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:40 pm
Deaf Crocodile’s forthcoming Prague Nights looks very cool
Oof I thought this was an extremely dull portmanteau exercise in 'cautionary tale' horror, where none of the segments felt interesting or went anywhere unexpected. The best was the second, purely because there are some impressively dizzying visual flourishes during the dancing crescendo at the end, but they all kind of end the same way, and aren't involving at all on the road to get there. It looks like there are some worthy supplements that should assist in appreciating the context, but I can't imagine doling out more time to this thing
Counterpoint: Zdeněk Liška scored three of the four segments.

As a side note, I like that Deaf Crocodile is listing "Blu-ray authoring by David Mackenzie of Fidelity In Motion" among the bulleted lists of special features. It looks like this is true of all of their releases since Solomon King

therewillbeblus

#102 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:31 pm

Did I miss a segment, or are you counting the basic coupling where the stories come from as a segment?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#103 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:51 pm

IMDb identifies the segments as:

Fabricius a Zuzana (dir. Miloš Makovec, mus. Zdeněk Liška)
Poslední Golem [The Last Golem] (dir. Jiří Brdečka, mus. Zdeněk Liška)
Chlebové střevíčky [Bread Slippers] (dir. Evald Schorm, mus. Jan Klusák)
Otrávená travička [The Poisoned Poisoner] (dir. Miloš Makovec, mus. Zdeněk Liška)

But yes, the first and last segments are connected. Either way, that's a supermajority of segments scored by Liška

therewillbeblus

#104 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Oh, interesting. I typically don’t consider the main setting where the stories are coming from to be a “segment” and rarely if ever see them refered to as such on online synopses (even in Torture Garden where it’s pretty elaborate and central to the narrative) but fair enough

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#105 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:17 pm

Other connections I'm just noticing--

- Miloš Makovec co-directed The Emperor's Nightingale with Jiří Trnka
- Jiří Brdečka, who wrote all of the segments (and directed the Golem one), and who has two bonus animated shorts featured on this release, also co-wrote The Cassandra Cat, and had another bonus short featured on Second Run's release of that film earlier this year

MichaelB

Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#106 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:24 am

Although he’s primarily renowned as a composer (in which respect he briefly took over from Zdeněk Liška as Jan Švankmajer’s regular composer, scoring The Fall of the House of Usher and Dimensions of Dialogue, Jan Klusák was also an occasional actor, and was unforgettable in The Party and the Guests (as the deeply sinister idiot man-child Rudolf) and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (as the equally sinister priest Gracián).

What A Disgrace

#107 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:11 am

If you get a Stamps shipment confirmation from one Craig Rogers, I believe that is your Pied Piper from the Deaf Crocodile Kickstarter.

What A Disgrace

#108 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 am

Deaf Crocodile's stream announced Benny's Bathtub (1971) and Cat City (1986). There is a third title to be announced, but I have to go to bed now.

sabbath

#109 Post by sabbath » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:31 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 am
Deaf Crocodile's stream announced Benny's Bathtub (1971) and Cat City (1986). There is a third title to be announced, but I have to go to bed now.
Trailers:
Benny's Bathtub (1971)
Cat City (1986)
The Tune (1992)

beamish14

#110 Post by beamish14 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:52 am

sabbath wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:31 am
What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 am
Trailers:
Benny's Bathtub (1971)
Cat City (1986)
The Tune (1992)

Wonderful to finally get Bill Plympton in HD

Finch

#111 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:43 pm

Deaf Crocodile newsletter says:
Deaf Crocodile Announces Acquisition of Three Ultra-Rare Eastern European Genre Films

Since it’s the Halloween month of October (Friday the 13th even!), Deaf Crocodile is thrilled to announce its acquisition of three rarely-seen Eastern European genre classics for release in 2024 in newly-restored versions, co-presented with Seagull Films:

Our 4th release by legendary Russian fantasy master Aleksandr Ptushko following ILYA MUROMETS, SAMPO and THE TALE OF TSAR SALTAN: his final film RUSLAN AND LUDMILA, a 2-part, 2-1/2 hour epic fantasy in a gorgeous new 4K restoration.

Belarusian director Valeri Rubinchik’s long-unseen folk horror masterpiece THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STAKH, in a new restoration of the 2-hour director’s cut.

Georgian filmmaker Georgiy Daneliya’s surreal, comic sci-fi gem KIN-DZA-DZA!, available for the first time ever in N. America.

Deaf Crocodile plans to release the three films in
Spring – Summer 2024

RUSLAN AND LUDMILA – 1972, Mosfilm, 150 min. The final film from Russian fantasy master Aleksandr Ptushko (ILYA MUROMETS, SAMPO), RUSLAN AND LUDMILA was a glorious and magical summation of his career: a 2-1/2 hour greatest hits package filled with the sweeping lyricism, bejeweled visual F/X and mythic storytelling that put him on par with Walt Disney, Ray Harryhausen and Mario Bava. Based on an epic fairy tale written in 1820 by Alexander Pushkin (Ptushko had previously adapted Pushkin’s THE TALE OF TSAR SALTAN, and half-jokingly said they were related), the film opens with the seemingly-joyous marriage of bogatyr (warrior) Ruslan (Valeri Kozinets) to Ludmila (Natalya Petrova), the daughter of Prince Vladimir. (Like his earlier ILYA MUROMETS, the action of the film is set during the legendary era of the Kyivan Rus’ culture that pre-dated both modern Ukraine and Russia.) On their wedding night, Ludmila is spirited away by the long-bearded wizard Chernomor (Vladimir Fyodorov), and taken to his sinister palace where she’s held prisoner. On their epic quest to rescue her, Ruslan and his three rivals encounter some of Ptushko’s most unforgettable imagery: a giant’s monstrous, decapitated head slumbering on an open plain, magic rings and stone warriors, sorcery and sacrifice, all in the hope of reuniting lost lovers. Newly restored by Mosfilm for release by Deaf Crocodile and Seagull Films. In Russian with English subtitles.

“One of Ptushko’s richest works, a compendium of all the techniques and special effects he had developed in previous films. His miniature work reached its peak here, especially in the model of Chernomor’s icy kingdom with its gloomy castle perched atop a craggy cliff. Just as memorable are the sequences of Ruslan riding through the haunted woodlands at sunset …” – Alan Upchurch, Video Watchdog.

THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STAKH, 1980, Belarusfilm, 126 min. Dir. Valeri Rubinchik. “We have more ghosts than live people,” murmurs the pale, haunted mistress of the mansion of Marsh Firs (Elena Dimitrova) to a scholar of ancient folklore (Boris Plotnikov) who has arrived at her castle to research the bloody legend of King Stakh, a murdered 15th century nobleman whose spirit supposedly thunders through the local woodlands. (The Wild Hunt is a fixture of northern European folklore in which a sinister figure leads a chase followed by ghostly companions.) Part folk horror, part supernatural mystery, KING STAKH is a melancholy, chilling mixture of Terry Gilliam, Italian Gothic Horror, 1960s Hammer Films and THE WICKER MAN – and a major rediscovery for genre fans. The longer the young scholar stays in this mysterious house of “shadow, gloom, madness and death,” the more strange and surreal the imagery becomes: a mad widow in a white wig; a man bleeding spontaneously from his skull; a dwarf hiding in a decayed doll’s house; screeching ravens and maniacal puppet shows. Based on the novel by Belarusian writer Uladzimir Karatkievich, the long-unavailable KING STAKH has recently been restored from the original film elements in its extended 126 min. Director’s Cut by Deaf Crocodile and Seagull Films for its first-ever U.S. release. (In Russian with English subtitles.)

KIN-DZA-DZA! – 1986, Mosfilm, 135 min. Dir. Georgiy Daneliya. Imagine Andrei Tarkovsky circa SOLARIS directing Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and you’ll come close to the existential weirdness of the wonderfully loopy Soviet-era sci-fi comedy KIN-DZA-DZA! Two average Muscovites – a plainspoken construction foreman (Stanislav Lyubshin) and a Georgian violin student (Levan Gabriadze) – encounter an odd homeless man on the street who asks, “Tell me the number of your planet in the Tentura?” In a flash, they’re teleported across the universe to the planet Pluke in the Kin-Dza-Dza galaxy – a Tatooine-like desert world whose inhabitants are hilariously noncommunicative (their main words are “ku” for good and “kyu” for very bad) and where common wooden matches are tremendously valuable. A deadpan, absurdist mixture of Kurt Vonnegut, Monty Python, Samuel Beckett and Jodorowsky’s never-made Dune where alien cultures are even more haphazard and WTF? than our own, the film is also a savage satire of bureaucratic idiocy and dysfunction no matter what political system you’re living under – or what planet you’re living on. Recently restored by Mosfilm for its first-ever U.S. release by Deaf Crocodile and Seagull Films. In Russian with English subtitles.

“Possibly the most underrated science fiction film of the past 50 years … A collapsed Ferris wheel provides a home for destitute desert dwellers. Graves are marked by balloons containing the deceased’s final breath. The colour of your trousers signifies social status, so they are powerful barter items… There is no convoluted plot, but instead a convoluted universe, and its incredulous victims ready to point out the farcicality therein.” – Joel Blackledge, Little White Lies

TechnicolorAcid

#112 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:48 pm

Yes been wanting an American release of Kin Dza-Dza for ages and I hope that this can eventually lead into the films of Leonid Gaidai getting a release especially since his Shurik films (Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession fits the label best) and The Diamond Arm are OOP despite their popularity. Also hyped about the other 2 but honestly excepted something like The Golden Key for their final Ptushko given Deaf Crocodile’s focus on animated releases.

feihong

#113 Post by feihong » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:03 pm

Looking forward to the blu ray of Savage Hunt of King Stakh! Sort of a gothic hangout movie. I adore it.

What A Disgrace

#114 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:39 pm

I really liked it when Deaf Crocodile was just releasing wonderfully weird movies I've never heard of, and I'm stoked that they're starting to release movies I've been wanting to see for years but never thought I would (Kin Dza Dza, Heroic Times, The Pied Piper, Cat City).

TechnicolorAcid

#115 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:58 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:39 pm
I really liked it when Deaf Crocodile was just releasing wonderfully weird movies I've never heard of, and I'm stoked that they're starting to release movies I've been wanting to see for years but never thought I would (Kin Dza Dza, Heroic Times, The Pied Piper, Cat City).
I mean for a while you could see The Pied Piper on YouTube, although not nearly the pristine quality of Deaf Crocodile’s release and Kin Dza Dza has been available for a while on the Mosfilm channel. Just something I thought I would mention.

What A Disgrace

#116 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Partner label announcements aren't terribly interesting this month, but Deaf Crocodile is releasing Oldrich Lipský's The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians in the future.

TechnicolorAcid

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#117 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:52 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:46 pm
Just two releases is a little early to be creating a thread for a new label. This is probably the best place to discuss Mawu releases for now. If there is eventually enough discussion to merit a separate thread, we can split this discussion off at that time
Is there enough releases for Deaf Crocodile to get a thread?

therewillbeblus

#118 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:23 pm

I believe FCE had to break from VS' sublabels to get its own thread back, regardless of the specific discussion speaking to the label's distinct ethos embedded therein

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#119 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:59 pm

Actually, FCE got its own thread after winning label of the year in last year's forum poll.
TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:52 pm
swo17 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:46 pm
Just two releases is a little early to be creating a thread for a new label. This is probably the best place to discuss Mawu releases for now. If there is eventually enough discussion to merit a separate thread, we can split this discussion off at that time
Is there enough releases for Deaf Crocodile to get a thread?
Possibly!

MichaelB

Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#120 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:42 pm

I think Deaf Crocodile has more than earned its own slot - it’s one of the most distinctive new labels to have emerged in years, and the first since Anti-Worlds where I’ve made a point of buying everything.

(And, unlike Anti-Worlds, where I personally worked on the first releases, I have no connection with Deaf Crocodile.)

Finch

#121 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:00 pm

Another vote for a Deaf Crocodile thread. They're the only partner label that generates enough discussion for its releases. They'll be on my list for the five best boutique labels for this year when the voting for the global releases is opened back up.

TechnicolorAcid

#122 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:23 pm
I believe FCE had to break from VS' sublabels to get its own thread back, regardless of the specific discussion speaking to the label's distinct ethos embedded therein
Is that what happened to AGFA if I may ask

The Fanciful Norwegian

#123 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:28 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:23 pm
Is that what happened to AGFA if I may ask
The AGFA thread was created back when they were an independent label not under the VS umbrella.

Peacock

#124 Post by Peacock » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:58 pm

Sorry to continue the off-topic but I’ve never understood the rationale of not having individual threads in the Boutique Labels section for these companies. Why does it matter from a forum perspective if VS is their main distributor or not? It just makes it harder to browse discussions of films under one label if you instead have to trawl through one super thread which covers totally different brands, it also makes creating discussion about a single label less appealing.

Criterionforum has such loyal long term users because it’s so well moderated, but I have to say the ongoing evasiveness when members ask for a dedicated thread is hard to understand. Deaf Croc has what, 17 Blu-Rays now? If I remember correctly Radiance not only got their own thread but their own featured thread on the main page before even releasing a single title!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#125 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:18 pm

What extensive discussion of the films the VS offshoot labels release is occurring that merits dedicated threads? Legit question, as I don’t believe I’ve missed a glut of movie discussion about most of the titles they’ve released or announced

There’s an obvious reason Radiance got preferential treatment: they initially announced and have continued to release films that are more in line with the tastes of this forum and more likely to generate discussion. And I say this as someone who hasn’t been as wowed with their slate personally

I understand your frustration with the mods, but I assure you that if I was allowed to impose moderator fascism on the board, I’d ban anyone weighing in on technical aspects without giving equal time to actually talking about the film being presented. So until that happens, try believing both sides are stuck with compromise solutions such as how it’s set up now and that perhaps things will change in a direction you prefer and perhaps not but don’t let’s get conspiratorial. If there’s a need and a desire within the membership for a certain thread, generally it gets created or directed towards if a suitable alternative already exists