Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Deaf Crocodile

#151 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:55 am

Yes, you’d either need two separate encodes or revert to the original language from time to time; we recently went down the latter route with three of the titles in Mexico Macabre.

Finch

#152 Post by Finch » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:40 pm

From DC's newsletter, announcing the acquisition of:
IN THE MOSCOW SLUMS (KHITROVKA. ZNAK CHETYRYOKH) – 2023, Mosfilm, 129 min.

The latest film from acclaimed director Karen Shakhnazarov (ZEROGRAD and THE ASSASSIN OF THE TSAR, both released by Deaf Crocodile and Seagull Films) is a tremendously entertaining historical detective mystery adapted from Arthur Conan Doyle’s “The Sign of Four” -- but in place of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the film features two real-life figures from Russian history. In Moscow in 1902, famed actor and theater director Konstantin Stanislavski (Konstantin Kryukov) is struggling to understand the life of slum dwellers for his latest production of Gorky's "The Lower Depths" -- so he turns to journalist Vladimir Gilyarovsky (Mikhail Porechenkov) who takes him on a guided tour of the Khitrovka district, pretty much Moscow's version of Whitechapel circa Jack the Ripper. There, they accidentally stumble across the bizarre murder of a chess playing friend of Gilyarovsky's called The Rajah and cross paths with a stunningly beautiful fallen aristocrat named The Countess (Anfisa Chernykh) and a savage Englishman and his blow-dart shooting killer companion. For fans of the Jeremy Brett-starring Sherlock Holmes series and the recent Kenneth Branagh-directed Hercule Poirot mysteries, this is an irresistible treat. Shakhnazarov clearly has great affection for the classic period in Russian theater (Anton Chekhov makes a cameo appearance at one point) and for the Holmes stories this pays loving tribute to. Co-presented with Seagull Films. In Russian with English subtitles.

TechnicolorAcid

#153 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:50 pm

If there’s one thing to respect about Deaf Crocodile, it’s that they are not only releasing films from Russia but more specifically films from the least represented era of Russian cinema (that being the post Soviet era). Thank you Mr. Crocodile you are wonderful.

What A Disgrace

#154 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:12 pm

Bill Plympton has directed eight feature length films so far, making him one of the more prolific directors of animated features, the best case scenario would be for all of his features to be released on blu-ray. I hope The Tune is just the start of this.

beamish14

#155 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:09 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:12 pm
Bill Plympton has directed eight feature length films so far, making him one of the more prolific directors of animated features, the best case scenario would be for all of his features to be released on blu-ray. I hope The Tune is just the start of this.

He owns them all outright as well. I’d love to see HD restorations of his incredible shorts like One of Those Days, which was probably my introduction to him when I saw it on Nickelodeon around 1991

willoneill

#156 Post by willoneill » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:57 pm

Question re. The Unknown Man of Shandigor. I watched the film last night, and it played great (and was great). This morning I went to watch some of the special features, and none of them have any audio. Even the audio commentary is just a silent audio file. I've tried the disc on two blu-ray players (one Sony and one Samsung) and even unplugged the soundbar and tried it through the TV speakers, and nothing. I can find no mention of this happening to anyone else online, and I'd almost think I was losing it but my wife confirms it. I've written to VS, but has anyone else experienced this?

colinr0380

#157 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:22 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:50 pm
If there’s one thing to respect about Deaf Crocodile, it’s that they are not only releasing films from Russia but more specifically films from the least represented era of Russian cinema (that being the post Soviet era). Thank you Mr. Crocodile you are wonderful.
As much as I appreciate more modern Russian films as well, it perhaps should be noted that it is a film directed by the Director General of Mosfilm, Karen Shakhnazarov, so its not as if they are going that obscure. :wink:

MichaelB

Deaf Crocodile

#158 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:46 pm

willoneill wrote:Question re. The Unknown Man of Shandigor. I watched the film last night, and it played great (and was great). This morning I went to watch some of the special features, and none of them have any audio. Even the audio commentary is just a silent audio file. I've tried the disc on two blu-ray players (one Sony and one Samsung) and even unplugged the soundbar and tried it through the TV speakers, and nothing. I can find no mention of this happening to anyone else online, and I'd almost think I was losing it but my wife confirms it. I've written to VS, but has anyone else experienced this?
My mystery relating to this title is that I can’t for the life of me find my copy!

But when I do, I’ll report back.

kuzine

#159 Post by kuzine » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:25 pm

willoneill wrote:Question re. The Unknown Man of Shandigor. I watched the film last night, and it played great (and was great). This morning I went to watch some of the special features, and none of them have any audio. Even the audio commentary is just a silent audio file. I've tried the disc on two blu-ray players (one Sony and one Samsung) and even unplugged the soundbar and tried it through the TV speakers, and nothing. I can find no mention of this happening to anyone else online, and I'd almost think I was losing it but my wife confirms it. I've written to VS, but has anyone else experienced this?
I had no issues with my copy when I watched all of the extras a couple of months ago.
Last edited by kuzine on Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telstar

#160 Post by Telstar » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:49 pm

willoneill wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:57 pm
Question re. The Unknown Man of Shandigor. I watched the film last night, and it played great (and was great). This morning I went to watch some of the special features, and none of them have any audio. Even the audio commentary is just a silent audio file. I've tried the disc on two blu-ray players (one Sony and one Samsung) and even unplugged the soundbar and tried it through the TV speakers, and nothing. I can find no mention of this happening to anyone else online, and I'd almost think I was losing it but my wife confirms it. I've written to VS, but has anyone else experienced this?
I've also watched/listened to all the extras with no problem.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#161 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:08 pm

My extras also play fine

willoneill

#162 Post by willoneill » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:16 pm

Weird. Thanks everyone. We'll see what kind of a response I get.

TechnicolorAcid

#163 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:49 pm

The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians
Jiri Brdecka’s work as screenwriter might be the most consistently good writing I’ve seen, from imaginative satire in The Cassandra Cat to the childlike films of Karel Zeman to his wonderfully diverse animated shorts, Brdecka is a writer from the heart, a true unique madman who’s work can only be described as a Czechoslovakian Leonid Gaidai with a mix of Aleksandr Ptushko. And no truer is that than in his final collaboration with Oldrich Lipsky, The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians.
Brdecka and Lipsky are like a match made in cinema, both men exploring the possibilities of film in the most mind bending ways possible under the disguised comfort of a plot. Lemonade Joe being a prime example of that, a wild Wild West takedown that is anything but cynical, bathing in it’s delirious eccentricities while holding it’s heart under it’s coat before pulling it like a gunslinger at a duel with his pistol. It remains my favorite of either’s work but Mysterious Castle is pretty good in its own right.
Mysterious Castle, amongst other things, feels like a subversion of gothic works (though this may be because of the original book which itself inspired Bram Stoker’s Dracula), the opening scenes setting itself up to have some supernatural setups, a dead body, a moving skeleton, legends of an old haunted castle with strange lights in an old traditional town before the film demolishes those setups into something else entirely. And while the film keeps some setups as things you except from the get go, Brdecka keeps that structure the same. Which is maybe while I like this film so much, because it just keeps you on your toes.
Another thing I love is the absolute creativity that went into this film, especially in the steampunk gadgetry by the mad scientist (played expertly by Rudolf Hrušínský), which is a wonderful mix of modern inventions with old mechanics.
But the direction by Lispky is not to be ignored, Lipsky’s direction matches odds with Brdecka’s writing, unhinged, chaotic, and keeps you in a chokehold from the beginning all the way until the word Konec (The End) appears. I especially love how he tints certain moments especially the explosion being paired with green, it sounds like an odd choice (because it is) but it pays off wonderfully in execution. And his timing is impeccable, he knows where to shot a comedy scene and when to cut to the next.
And lastly, the actors here are all wonderful. Milos Kopecky is wonderful as the suave yet utterly despicable Baron and is the highlight of the cast (possibly because of his understanding/experience of Lipsky’s direction, starring in every single film of his), but everyone else works great. Outside of Rudolf Hrušínský (since I’ve already mentioned him), I particularly love the deadpan Vlastimil Brodsky and Jan Hartl as the loveably charming guide to our main character.
In short, this is a worthy film if you’re interested in either Brdecka or Lipsky’s works or just anarchic comedies in general and needless to say, I had a great time throughout with this film, for which Deaf Crocodile has beautifully restored.

What A Disgrace

#164 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:12 pm

Brdecka's filmography reads like a who's who of my most sought after Czech films, in addition to some of my favorites (Cassandra Cat, Mysterious Castle, and of course my favorite Czech film, The Fabulous Baron Munchausen). I would absolutely not mind if Deaf Crocodile just keeps picking titles from his filmography for release, because as far as I can tell they can't miss.

therewillbeblus

#165 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:35 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:23 am
Cat City was the most fun I've had with a Deaf Crocodile release yet. It's a beautiful looking film, and bonkers in the best possible ways (Mexican vampire bats!). It makes fun of Disney, Danger Mouse, Bond and Hungarian politics, it doesn't take its own hero and villains too seriously and I liked how compassion for the losing side wins the day. The belief that we really can all get along if we find in ourselves the ability for forgiveness and faith in the other side's kindness. It was just the uplift I needed after a long, stressful week. My favorite discovery of this year with Mexico Macabre and Vinegar Syndrome's Mexican chillers, and quite possibly Radiance's yet to be released World Noir selections.
I had a lot of fun with this, but as others alluded to, it wasn't as crazy as I expected it to be. This is actually a relatively-straightforward madcap crime caper, only animated and with animals, but I did appreciate how careful attention was given to both the banal moments of subordinate reports for politically-motivated planning and the more exciting action sequences or sprawling subplot check-ins. A lot is being balanced, and it's communicated in an incredibly economical manner that reads as effortless.. Although, I wonder if the filmmakers tried to hide their efforts less, the film would've actually accrued a welcome chaotic tone. The smooth grammar doesn't match the content in that respect, even if it's just generally impressive to make something so digestible and enjoyable out of so many little stray pieces

DeafCrocodile

#166 Post by DeafCrocodile » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:22 am

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:03 pm
Does anyone know if World War III will be a digital title or a Blu-Ray title so I can edit the catalogue data accordingly.
There will be a blu-ray release of WWIII.

DeafCrocodile

#167 Post by DeafCrocodile » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:32 am

We pride ourselves on finding films from all around the world. Upcoming disc releases hail from -in alphabetical order: Belarus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Iran, Ireland, Russia and even right here at home in the USA! ...and we're always on the lookout for more!

Finch

#168 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:39 am

Deaf Crocodile, isn't there going to be a Japanese film as well?

TechnicolorAcid

#169 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:15 am

I believe there’s sound issues that Mr. Crocodile mentioned preventing them from releasing it for now iirc.

Finch

#170 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:09 pm

That's a pity but hopefully that's something the licensors can address. Maybe one day.

DeprongMori

#171 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:31 pm

DeafCrocodile wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:32 am
We pride ourselves on finding films from all around the world. Upcoming disc releases hail from -in alphabetical order: Belarus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Iran, Ireland, Russia and even right here at home in the USA! ...and we're always on the lookout for more!
Fingers crossed that the German film is Alraune.

TechnicolorAcid

#172 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:43 pm

I believe it’s actually Felidae, the clues given so far (especially thanks to the most recent Disc-Connected interview for their Visitors kickstarter campaign), have been it’s a West German animated film based off a series of successful books written by a man who’s now very controversial for possibly being a Neo-Nazi. Plus they said there’s more cat movies in the works too so I’m pretty sure it’s Felidae.

Finch

#173 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:08 pm

Bubble Bath from Hungary could be next. They posted a picture of a bath soap ad with a February 1 caption a few days ago on their Facebook feed.

TechnicolorAcid

#174 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:16 pm

I’m very interested in what that Irish title could be, War of the Buttons seems like a good fit but I’m not sure what else could fit under the Mr. Crocodile label.

ianthemovie

#175 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:39 pm

My dream is that Karel Kachyna's version of The Little Mermaid is the Czech title, but I realize that's a crazy longshot. Excited to see whatever this label comes up with regardless!