Imprint

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Imprint

#601 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:17 pm

You definitely don't want to try eating 37-year-old shrimps. I can't begin to imagine what they'd do to your insides.

Adam X

#602 Post by Adam X » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:02 am

You know, I’ve never been sure if that’s a tourism myth inflicted on us by Paul Hogan or if it just isn’t a thing in my state. Drop Bears on the other hand…

jazzo

#603 Post by jazzo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:38 am

Pretty sure it’s the former, but you have to learn to embrace the goofy stereotypes like us hosers in Canada do.

Back bacon, toques and stubbies for everyone, eh?
Last edited by jazzo on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#604 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:30 pm

September releases:

Cross of Iron (4K UHD)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (BD)
George Peppard set (P.J., Pendulum, The Executioner, Newman's Law)
The Martian Chronicles (Imprint TV)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#605 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:09 am

I feel like even KLSC wouldn’t be crazy enough to release a George Peppard Collection

M Sanderson

#606 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:59 am

thinking of pre-ordering the Furie set from Imprint directly. how are they with delivery to the UK? reliable, reasonably priced? feeling the urgency to get my pre-order in already, as the Imprint titles do take a while to drop into such other retailers as amazon, amazon marketplace, eBay sellers.

(I was marvelling at Furie's widescreen compositions last night, during a revisit of The Ipcress File. And proudly own Eureka's disc of The Entity, one of the most substantial works of horror I've seen - another good yet imperfect disc. And certainly don't want to lose the opportunity to explore his work, so apparently eclectic, in such detail, newly restored)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#607 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Shipping isn't cheap but it maxes out at $50 AUD no matter how much you order

tolbs1010

#608 Post by tolbs1010 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:33 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:30 pm
September releases:
Cross of Iron (4K UHD)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (BD)
Apparently every label has a bounty on Alfredo's head.

I was pumped to see Cross Of Iron getting a 4K release. Then I saw the price.

dwk

#609 Post by dwk » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:08 pm

I think StudioCanal is releasing Cross of Iron on UHD in Europe. That should end up being more affordable.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#610 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:18 pm

M Sanderson wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:59 am
thinking of pre-ordering the Furie set from Imprint directly. how are they with delivery to the UK? reliable, reasonably priced? feeling the urgency to get my pre-order in already, as the Imprint titles do take a while to drop into such other retailers as amazon, amazon marketplace, eBay sellers.

(I was marvelling at Furie's widescreen compositions last night, during a revisit of The Ipcress File. And proudly own Eureka's disc of The Entity, one of the most substantial works of horror I've seen - another good yet imperfect disc. And certainly don't want to lose the opportunity to explore his work, so apparently eclectic, in such detail, newly restored)
I don't know if this works for the UK, but I have gotten in the habit of buying things off ebay if I don't buy them directly from the label, which is generally my preference. Sites like Rarewaves seem to be using Ebay as an e-tailer, functionally. I bought Long Voyage Home a few weeks ago and it came no problem. Not sure if this is an option for you, but figured I'd point it out.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#611 Post by swo17 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:31 pm

Though I think buying directly from rarewaves' site usually costs a little less and will earn you loyalty points worth discounts on future purchases

M Sanderson

#612 Post by M Sanderson » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:12 am

Drucker wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:18 pm
M Sanderson wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:59 am

I don't know if this works for the UK, but I have gotten in the habit of buying things off ebay if I don't buy them directly from the label, which is generally my preference. Sites like Rarewaves seem to be using Ebay as an e-tailer, functionally. I bought Long Voyage Home a few weeks ago and it came no problem. Not sure if this is an option for you, but figured I'd point it out.
yeah I've been using eBay and amazon marketplace mostly, to good results.

L.A.

#613 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:33 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:00 pm
JB Hi-Fi also has 20% off from movies (ends July 2nd), including Imprint titles. Ordered The Catman of Paris (1946) and Uptight (1968).
Both shipped on June 27th, already arrived today. It even had tracking this time, and Australian Post was very kind to inform me via email like:

• Good news, your shipment has arrived in the destination country,
• good news, your shipment has cleared customs and
• good news, your shipment has been successfully delivered.

Once again, ordering from JB Hi-Fi went smoothly.

M Sanderson

#614 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:25 am

hoping that Imprint ship out a little early, as I'm ready to dive deep in Furie having really enjoyed the Koch Media release of The Appaloosa which I picked up cheaply.

Quite masterful the way Furie uses the wide screen to explore the conflict between private and public space, especially during the opening meeting of Saxon and Brando. What on paper seems unremarkable - Saxon wants to steal Brando's horse, leading to a series of showdowns - is made vivid on screen: Saxon's private unhappiness, with a slave wife, causes her to try and flee on Brando's horse. To save face, with his henchmen observing, Saxon tries to role play, that he was buying the horse from Brando. Brando won't cooperate. Furie uses width and depth so rigorously that we can observe the tensions, often within one shot, due to frames / frames within frames.

I don't see Furie's style as distracting whatsoever - to me, his dynamic framing serves to enhance his characters, and their struggle to reconcile private images of themselves with public personas. His framing is so expert and vivid that it approaches a level of graphic art. Excited to explore more.

Also, an announcement like a Furie box makes you think almost anything is possible. Imagine, rights and materials permitting, a Ted Kotcheff box? Life at the Top, Fun with Dick & Jane, Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Billy Two Hats, Apprenticeship of Daddy Kravitz... Obviously they already did a very good job with North Dallas Forty, one of Kotcheff's major works.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#615 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:44 am

All-horror October:

The Orphanage
Wind Chill
Bug
The Skeleton Key
The Mad Room
Night of the Eagle

Finch

#616 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:00 am

Nice that someone's bothering to release Bug.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#617 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:07 am

I believe KLSC will be releasing it on UHD, actually

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#618 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:12 am

They were going to but canceled the release

therewillbeblus

#619 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:11 pm

I remember being pleasantly surprised by how fun The Skeleton Key was - not scary, just in terms of an uncharacteristically mobilized narrative. But I haven’t seen it since it hit the shelves in ‘06, during a phase of watching awful, often-VOD-sequel horror films picked at random at the local video store with my high school gf, so I imagine even average trash would look good back then

M Sanderson

#620 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:07 pm

got to say, good experiences ordering from Imprint. I actually received the Furie box, in England, safely packaged, on the official release date (it had shipped out a good week early). I don't want to sound like a B-Rdotcom Forum poster, so won't go on too much.

anyway, very excited to dip into it, and I've been getting myself ready with rewatches of Appaloosa and Ipcress File, two films that I do not find "modish" but rather which use accomplished formal qualities to enhance a sense of paranoia and persecution, almost Kafkaesque levels, by using the widescreen frame to enhance claustrophobic tensions. I will post back soon regarding the calibre of the presentations.

therewillbeblus

#621 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:28 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:11 pm
I remember being pleasantly surprised by how fun The Skeleton Key was
Maybe not quite as “fun” as I remembered, but still holds up with its twisty narrative pivots and downbeat tone of antihumanist fatalism. Also, this seems to be the film Get Out is most indebted to at least in superficial terms

Rupert Pupkin

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#622 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm

I was about to ask about the German Blu-Ray of "My Summer Of Love" :

https://www.amazon.de/My-Summer-of-Love ... B0C4S6WCCX

This color movie is very different to the amazing "Cold War" (we need an UHD now, Criterion) or "Ida". Color, not the 1:33 ratio, etc...
And there is... Emily Blunt... playing contrebasse... :oops:
I have seen a WEB 1080 release in the past which looks more like digitally remastered; not to say upscale.
I have been able to grab a rip of the blu-ray (before placing an order) - I know this is wrong, but I can't find a single review fo this blu-ray; and as far as I can tell this is the first blu-ray release of this movie.
Well, I can't really judge a blu-ray while watching a rip :oops: , dramatically compressed.
The thing : color grading looks okay; there seems to be a kind of E.E or halo; there are some fine grain - I don't know if the movie was shot on argentic (looks like 16mm) or in DV and the film grain would have been deliberately in some particular shots ?
There are some scenes were details are great with fine grain, and some other scenes such as the forrest where the trees are blurred or with E.E effect. And then it looks more like video than argentic film.
Any info about the transfer or about the photography of this movie would be really appreciated.
Close-ups are great; it looks to me like there has been some experiment to shot with various DV effects.
I can't say "wow" like Arrow transfer of Fucking Amal (which restored the grain totally washed from the first blu-ray release) but since I only saw a rip of the BR (thus compressed) I can't say it's bad, I'm a bit reluctant but it looks better than the WEB 1080 transfer.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#623 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 pm

Rupert Pupkin

#624 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 pm
Imprint put out a release in June
thanks. I know this is difficult to judge with a 1080 youtube trailer of the Imprint release but it just looks like in terms of color grading and details and grain the rip of the blu-ray I have just grabbed.
Perhaps both BR German and this AU release are from the same HD master ? the artwork of the keepcase is the same.

but they announce a : 1080p High-definition presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K scan
and I'm interested in the Deleted scenes and B-roll footage even though this could be SD resolution.

mhofmann

#625 Post by mhofmann » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:31 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 pm
swo17 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 pm
Imprint put out a release in June
thanks. I know this is difficult to judge with a 1080 youtube trailer of the Imprint release but it just looks like in terms of color grading and details and grain the rip of the blu-ray I have just grabbed.
Perhaps both BR German and this AU release are from the same HD master ? the artwork of the keepcase is the same.

but they announce a : 1080p High-definition presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K scan
and I'm interested in the Deleted scenes and B-roll footage even though this could be SD resolution.
Imprint's release is a clear, unmitigated disaster.

The German release by Capelight appears to be from a better quality scan and the final master shows substantial differences. Most importantly, the weird noise that occurs throughout the Imprint release is replaced by something that looks like actual grain in the Capelight master. Framing and grading are subtly different, too.

Some screenshots to compare (grabbed them quickly just now, so not frame-exact - best to open in separate tabs to switch directly):
Imprint: https://i.imgur.com/FYajl4Q.png
Capelight: https://i.imgur.com/SFvObbB.png

Imprint: https://i.imgur.com/1dw8bF1.png
Capelight: https://i.imgur.com/nRzpisc.png

Imprint: https://i.imgur.com/yN6xNet.png
Capelight: https://i.imgur.com/zDNa7Lf.png

Imprint: https://i.imgur.com/tU37C1U.png
Capelight: https://i.imgur.com/lhv2bDV.png

If you buy any release, get the German one. Stay far away from the Imprint release.