WFDiF: Kieślowski Dokumentalista

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

WFDiF: Kieślowski Dokumentalista

#1 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:27 am

I've just received the two-disc DVD set Kieślowski: Documentarist, produced by WFDiF in Poland, and am delighted to confirm that it was well worth the purchase even beyond the specific reasons I had to get it (namely, decent copies of Workers '71 and Before the Rally, which I'd previously only seen as fuzzy low-res MP4s, and any copy at all of I Don't Know, one of the few Kieślowski titles to elude me so completely that I couldn't even track down an unsubtitled copy).

First of all, the package is fully bilingual in Polish and English, including the booklet. Secondly, on the evidence of disc one, all of these are fresh transfers - I did side-by-side comparisons with my older copies of From the City of Łódź, I Was a Soldier, Factory, Refrain, Bricklayer and X-Ray and in all cases the new edition was unquestionably superior. The four black-and-white films were noticeably contrastier before, and the colour films grainier - so I suspect they may have gone back to original negs this time round (this is highly plausible given that WFDiF made the films in the first place). There's a reference to "restoration" at the back of the booklet, but it doesn't go into details, except to confirm that cinematographer Jacek Petrycki and sound recordist Michał Żarnecki were involved.

Anyway, this is what's in the package:

Disc 1

From the City of Łódź (Z miasta Łodzi, 1969)
I Was a Soldier (Byłem żołnierzem, 1970
Factory (Fabryka, 1970)
Before the Rally (Przed rajdem, 1971)
Workers 1971: Nothing About Us Without Us (Robotnicy 1971: Nic o nas bez nas, 1971)
Refrain (Refren, 1972)
Bricklayer (Murarz, 1973)
X-Ray (Prześwietlenie, 1974)

DVD 2

Curriculum Vitae (Życiorys, 1975)
Hospital (Szpital, 1976)
Clapperboard (Klaps, 1976)
I Don't Know (Nie wiem, 1976)
From a Night Porter's Point of View (Z punktu widzenia nocnego portiera, 1977)
Seven Women of Different Ages (Siedem kobiet w różnym wieku, 1978)
Station (Dworzec, 1980)
Talking Heads (Gadające głowy, 1980)

mas114

Re: Krzysztof Kieslowski - KIEŚLOWSKI - DOCUMENTALISTA

#2 Post by mas114 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

Where can you purchase this DVD set? I don't see it on the website, and I looked on BluDVD.pl and don't see it htere. Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

MichaelB

Re: Krzysztof Kieslowski

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Most Polish retailers seem to have it - Empik, Punkt44, etc.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:07 pm

I got mine from Empik 20 euros shipped by courier. Merlin seem to have become Walmart in recent times

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

I deliberately didn't mention Merlin!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#6 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I'll miss that tank-proof packaging!

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Empik's not too bad, but Punkt44 left a bit to be desired.

mas114

#8 Post by mas114 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info!!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

WFDIF: Kieślowski Dokumentalista

#9 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Further gaps can be filled by WFDIF's superb recent collection of the documentaries (DVD only, but recent restorations and completely English-friendly - and it includes such previously unreleased rarities as Workers '71 and I Don't Know), at which point you'll have the overwhelming majority of his output, and pretty much everything that Kieślowski himself placed any creative value on.
Oh nice, I was just about to lament the unavailability of PWA's set, but the WFDIF looks more comprehensive (only excluding First Love, but that's on the Arrow set)

MichaelB

Re: Cinema of Conflict: Four Films by Krzystof Kieślowski

#10 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm

Yes, the PWA set is now redundant, as fine as it was in its day. I can confirm first-hand that the WFDIF transfers are superior in every case.

Oh, and I see I carelessly left out the title: it's Kieślowski Dokumentalista - it still appears to be in print. And I described it in more detail here.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm
Oh, and I see I carelessly left out the title: it's Kieślowski Dokumentalista - it still appears to be in print. And I described it in more detail here.
If anyone else is interested in this, I just ordered five copies directly from Poland. PM me if you'd like to go in on a copy--they'll probably come to about $13 shipped if you live in the U.S.

EDIT: This offer has now expired

TMDaines

#12 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 pm

swo17 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm
If anyone else is interested in this, I just ordered five copies directly from Poland. PM me if you'd like to go in on a copy--they'll probably come to about $13 shipped if you live in the U.S.
I’d have been well in for this if you lived in the UK. Where’s you buy them from?

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

I should probably make another bulk Empik order at some point, so if there's any interest in a UK-specific bulk buy, it looks as though it'll be about nine quid plus whatever form of postage is preferred, which is an insane bargain for what you get.

(Although I don't want to tread on swo's toes - I'd rather all his were accounted for first!)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm

No, you should totally do a UK-specific one--if I had to pay international shipping on these it would defeat the purpose. And any I don't sell here I can just list on Amazon Marketplace

I got mine here for half price

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Woah, maybe I should have ordered more copies--these five are all already spoken for now

DeprongMori

Re: Cinema of Conflict: Four Films by Krzysztof Kieślowski

#16 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:07 pm

New copies of the Kieslowski Documentarist 2-DVD set seems to be available from a seller on Amazon US at a pretty reasonable price. They currently have eight more copies. (~$22)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Anyone else can do the same thing I did--they're basically $6 a pop plus a $20 flat shipping cost, which was why I bought in bulk. It's actually cheaper than the Amazon US option even if you buy just one. It's not like this has gone OOP or anything

fdm

#18 Post by fdm » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 pm
Anyone else can do the same thing I did--they're basically $6 a pop plus a $20 flat shipping cost, which was why I bought in bulk. It's actually cheaper than the Amazon US option even if you buy just one. It's not like this has gone OOP or anything
I got as far as the submitting the order page (without creating an account), but it was unclear about whether they took credit cards (eCards?), so I didn't place the order. When do they take the credit card info? Perhaps that was the next step after placing the order? Seemed kind of backwards.

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 am

Sorting out the money after placing the order is normal in my experience of dealing with central European sellers. You still have the option of cancelling if you're not happy with the payment options.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:44 am

fdm wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 am
swo17 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 pm
I got as far as the submitting the order page (without creating an account), but it was unclear about whether they took credit cards (eCards?), so I didn't place the order. When do they take the credit card info? Perhaps that was the next step after placing the order? Seemed kind of backwards.
I wasn't sure how that would work either but after I placed the order it took me to an English-language site where I was able to pay with a Mastercard

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#21 Post by Timec » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Anyone have any other recommendations from the shop selling the Kieslowski docs? It looks like some of their other Polish releases have English subs, but I'm not familiar with any of the titles other than the Holland.

fdm

Re: WFDiF: Kieślowski Dokumentalista

#22 Post by fdm » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:04 pm

I'll give it another shot in the next few days, perhaps find something(s) else to go along with it. Thanks.

TMDaines

#23 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm

dvdmax.pl works out cheaper for one off purchases, at least for the UK, as shipping is much lower at less than 20 zloty, even when adding a lot from their wider range of Blu-rays to the cart.

fdm

#24 Post by fdm » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 am

Re dvdmax.pl, direct order made it to my credit card so almost a $10 savings over getting it from them via amazon.com. Now it just has to make it to me.

DeprongMori

#25 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Does anyone know what the audio format is on these discs? I can't seem to find any reference to the format(s) anywhere in the documentation. (If you found it, could you tell me where?) Thanks -- I'm trying to complete the disc information for a home video catalog.

BTW, it seems to be a fantastic set.