Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Kino

#3201 Post by swo17 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Short answer: yes

Longer answer

knives

#3202 Post by knives » Tue May 19, 2020 9:22 pm

I thought the long answer was definitely?

FrauBlucher

#3203 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Well that longer answer is a resounding yes

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#3204 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue May 19, 2020 9:48 pm

It's on youtube if you don't want to risk the blind buy.

Glowingwabbit

#3205 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:29 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but R. Emmet Sweeney tweeted that he is working on releases for both Ken Jacobs and his son Azazel Jacobs. The article that accompanies his tweet doesn't specify which Ken Jacobs films just that several will be coming to DVD and Blu-ray. However, it does mention Momma's Man and The GoodTimesKid by Azazel Jacobs are forthcoming. I've always really liked the latter film a lot so I'm looking forward to that.

https://twitter.com/r_emmet/status/1267 ... 63680?s=20

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3206 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:46 am

En liberte! gets a DVD-only release and Momma’s Man gets a Blu-Ray, 2020 strikes again

Glowingwabbit

#3207 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:57 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:46 am
En liberte! gets a DVD-only release and Momma’s Man gets a Blu-Ray, 2020 strikes again
While I'm certainly going to be buying Momma's Man as well, I'd have to agree that the logic here doesn't make sense. A DVD of Momma's Man would be perfectly fine. Didn't realize En liberte! was DVD-only. That sucks!

Calvin

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3208 Post by Calvin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 am

Calvin wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:10 pm
SpoilerShow
This is an exciting one:

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray July 14th from Kino Classics!

Mädchen in Uniform (1931)
Directed by Leontine Sagan

A vital landmark in the history of queer cinema, Mädchen in Uniform is a remarkably brave and honest film about nascent love between women at a boarding school for girls.

Special feature:
Audio commentary by film historian Jenni Olson
Beaver in Uniform

It's a shame they didn't get Frank Wisbar's Anna und Elisabeth as an extra; it re-pairs Dorothea Wieck and Hertha Thiele two years later, and I'll be surprised if it ever gets a release of its own. Regardless, I'll be adding Mädchen to my next Wow-HD order.

Ribs

#3209 Post by Ribs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:00 am

There is a sale on Kino's store for their Kino Classics brand titles (not Studio Classics - so mostly just their output of recent titles they handle theatrically).

hearthesilence

#3210 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:06 pm

Je t'aime je t'aime is only $9.99 (though I believe that's been their price for that title for other recent sales too). A huge markdown, though be warned the color timing looks flat out wrong. The following was posted in 2016, and I saw what may have been the same print a year later and confirmed everything jsteffe wrote:
jsteffe wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm
I just saw the newish 35mm print of JE T'AIME JE T'AIME by Alain Resnais, and it looks radically different from the bluish Kino Lorber Blu-ray/DVD edition. Presumably this has to do with whatever master that was supplied to Kino Lorber.

The print was not bluish at all. It has nicely balanced colors and normal flesh tones. Jean Boffety's photography really gleams in places. If anything the print tends toward the warm side, and some individual shots even look a bit yellowish - I suspect that this had to do with yellow filters applied for color correction.

The old French Montparnasse DVD is closer to how the print looks color-wise, though that DVD is lacking in detail and not ultimately satisfactory either.

If anyone else releases this wonderful film on Blu-ray--and I hope they do--they will probably need to redo the color timing from scratch.

FrauBlucher

#3211 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm

TMDaines

#3212 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:00 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm
Mephisto review from DVDBeaver
This looks definitive!

L.A.

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3213 Post by L.A. » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3214 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:57 pm

I’m not seeing Les valseuses (released as Going Places) on Kino’s site anymore, it may be OOP. Still available direct from Amazon if so

L.A.

#3215 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 20th from Kino Classics!

Three Tod Browning classics in two separate releases!

Outside the Law (1920)
Directed by Tod Browning
Starring Priscilla Dean and Lon Chaney

New 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!

While under contract at Universal Studios, Tod Browning crafted a series of melodramas with strong female protagonists, women on the wrong side of the law, who stood defiantly against the men who tried to control them. No actress better personified this tough, glamorous anti-hero than Priscilla Dean (Drifting, White Tiger). In Outside the Law, Dean plays hard-boiled jewel thief Molly Madden. When her father is framed for murder by Black Mike Sylva (Lon Chaney), Molly partners with safecracker Dapper Bill (Wheeler Oakman) to stage a double-cross of their own. Outside the Law was Browning’s second film with actor Lon Chaney, whose gifts for elaborate makeup and ruthless villainy would flower under Browning’s direction, setting the stage for a series of monstrous characterizations that would revolutionize the melodrama and lay the foundations of the American horror film.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Anthony Slide
*Musical score by Anton Sanko
*Alternate ending
*Footage comparison

---------------------------------------

Drifting (1923) and White Tiger (1923)
Directed by Tod Browning
Starring Priscilla Dean and Wallace Beery

After the runaway success of Outside the Law, director Tod Browning re-teamed with star Priscilla Dean on Drifting, another hard-boiled crime picture flavored with Orientalism. Set in a remote Chinese village, and staged on an epic scale, Dean stars as Cassie Cook, an opium trafficker caught between an undercover government agent (Matt Moore) and a fellow smuggler (Wallace Beery). Dean may have been the star, but it is Anna May Wong (age eighteen and on the brink of stardom), who steals the show during the film’s fiery climax.

An early attempt by Browning to infuse the crime melodrama with elements of the uncanny (spurring the evolution of the American horror film), White Tiger involves a band of jewel thieves who employ a chess-playing automaton to gain entry into the homes of the wealthy. But their elaborate plans are haunted by omens, and they seem doomed to an inescapable fate. This disc also contains the only surviving footage of Browning and Dean’s 1919 The Exquisite Thief, one of the key films in establishing Dean’s persona as the glamorous jewel thief.

Special features:
• Drifting 4K Restoration by George Eastman Museum
• Audio commentary for Drifting by film historian Anthony Slide
• Musical score by Anton Sanko
• Audio commentary for White Tiger by film historian Bret Wood
• Musical score by Andrew Earle Simpson
• Fragment of the “lost” Tod Browning/Priscilla Dean film The Exquisite Thief

L.A.

#3216 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 am

L.A. wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 am
Black Gravel (Helmut Käutner, 1961) coming September 1st.
Beaver.

agnamaracs

#3217 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:04 pm

According to DiabolikDVD, Forbidden Fruit 7 will be Test Tube Babies and Guilty Parents.

Test Tube Babies is a gem of the Something Weird library. I first encountered it on one of the trailer reels they put on Comcast On Demand (pre-Xfinity). I'm a bit disappointed they didn't throw in The Pill (1967), which was basically a re-edit... though it might fall outside of the "golden age of exploitation" the series is highlighting.

TMDaines

#3218 Post by TMDaines » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:07 am

What's the best way for getting Kino Blu-rays to the UK? They are developing quite the catalogue of exclusive silent and classic European film releases.

Aunt Peg

#3219 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:26 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:07 am
What's the best way for getting Kino Blu-rays to the UK? They are developing quite the catalogue of exclusive silent and classic European film releases.
Kino don't ship internationally so you would have to purchase through a seller. Amazon, Deep Discount, eBays sellers, etc.

The alternative is to register with a forwarding company in the US. They would provide you with a US address and then you could order directly from Kino but forwarders can be very expensive.

Worth noting that due to the pandemic postage can take much much longer.

Calvin

#3220 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:39 am

Wow-HD is my go-to site for buying US Blu-Rays in the UK.

EddieLarkin

#3221 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:59 am

Yes WowHD are definitely the best. They are the same company as DeepDiscountDVD and importcds and use the same listings, but their UK page converts all prices to £s, and crucially they charge nothing for delivery, meaning they are nearly always the cheapest place.

They also pay import taxes for you for anything over £15, meaning no RM handling fees (for this reason it's important to make separate orders for any items under £15, as combining say two BDs that are £12 each will incur avoidable VAT charges at checkout).

Their search engine is awful though, usually they will only display one format/release per film, and then offer the alternatives within that one single listing (so you may find yourself clicking on a DVD release or ancient BD release of a particular film, to get to the latest releases).

TMDaines

#3222 Post by TMDaines » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 am

WowHD looks a good shout. Can easily click through to search by publisher too.

It's frustrating that so few of the bigger US labels ship internationally compared to their UK brethren.

Aunt Peg

#3223 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:13 am

TMDaines wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:48 am
WowHD looks a good shout. Can easily click through to search by publisher too.

It's frustrating that so few of the bigger US labels ship internationally compared to their UK brethren.
I agree but I think it has to do with copyright and they may be explicitly told that they cannot ship internationally. The really annoying one is that Warners don't ship internationally. They own the worldwide rights to their films and virtually all their Blu Ray's are region free so I don't know what is stopping Warners other than they can't bothered.

TMDaines

#3224 Post by TMDaines » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:59 am
Yes WowHD are definitely the best. They are the same company as DeepDiscountDVD and importcds and use the same listings, but their UK page converts all prices to £s, and crucially they charge nothing for delivery, meaning they are nearly always the cheapest place.

They also pay import taxes for you for anything over £15, meaning no RM handling fees (for this reason it's important to make separate orders for any items under £15, as combining say two BDs that are £12 each will incur avoidable VAT charges at checkout).

Their search engine is awful though, usually they will only display one format/release per film, and then offer the alternatives within that one single listing (so you may find yourself clicking on a DVD release or ancient BD release of a particular film, to get to the latest releases).
Just to confirm, is it safe to make multiple orders under £15 at once, without them then being combined and then getting sprung for RM handling charges and tax?

EddieLarkin

#3225 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:46 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 am
Just to confirm, is it safe to make multiple orders under £15 at once, without them then being combined and then getting sprung for RM handling charges and tax?
Yes, definitely. In fact no matter what you order there is no chance of an RM handling fee or any other custom fees because all of their stock is already in the EU.

They used to not charge the 20% VAT at all and were a VAT free safe haven, until HMRC cottoned on to what they were doing (importing bulk stock into the EU) and threatened to shut them down unless they started adding VAT at checkout for anything over £15. Other VAT safe sellers like moviemars and allyourmusic got the same warning I believe, and have largely disappeared as UK sellers as a result.