StudioCanal: Godard: The Essential Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: StudioCanal: Godard: the Essential Collection

#26 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:46 pm

It comes in a fold out digipak, black and white and yellow. No individual covers, but an image from each film in the tray behind the discs (including a color-scheme appropriate but un-PC Karina in yellow face for Pierrot le fou )

jsteffe

#27 Post by jsteffe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:It comes in a fold out digipak, black and white and yellow. No individual covers, but an image from each film in the tray behind the discs (including a color-scheme appropriate but un-PC Karina in yellow face for Pierrot le fou )
I know it's a European release, but it's 2016 already. Jeez...

StevenJ0001

#28 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:It comes in a fold out digipak, black and white and yellow. No individual covers, but an image from each film in the tray behind the discs (including a color-scheme appropriate but un-PC Karina in yellow face for Pierrot le fou )
Thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:12 pm

Here, for those needing an actual visual:

PfR73

#30 Post by PfR73 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:13 pm

manicsounds wrote:Thanks for the info above!

Seems that Contempt doesn't add anything new, but judging from the movie's runtime, it's not the exact same disc as the previous Studio Canal Collection disc. But if anyone else can confirm as well, do the new discs drop all the dubs and subtitles or are they kept? (Japanese for example)
I just got this set and can provide some additional information

1) The original discs had multiple language tracks (all in DTS-HDMA) & multiple subtitle tracks. The discs in the set contain only 1 audio track (French LPCM) & 1 subtitle track (English)

2) The runtimes differ for a couple reasons
-The original discs had the Studio Canal logo as part of the main video file. The new discs have the logo play as a separate video title before the film, so the logo is not part of the runtime
-The original Pierrot Le Fou disc had some restoration information before the start of the film. This has been dropped on the new disc. The video now starts at the opening credits.

3) The English subtitles may be different from the original discs, but I am not sure how extensively. I can say for sure that on the original Breathless disc, the very first line was translated as "After all, I'm stupid." On the new disc, the line is "After all, I'm an arsehole."

4) All the original extras have been retained except a gallery of behind-the-scenes photos on the original Breathless disc. This is a bit of a shame, because it was one of the best photo galleries I've seen on a DVD/Blu-Ray. Many interesting photos, especially ones of Godard clowning around on set.

5) Breathless contains 3 new extras (Jefferson Hack interview, Jean Seberg featurette, & Godard Tempo episode) and Pierrot Le Fou contains 1 new extra (Anna Karina interview).

ProGrain

Re: StudioCanal: Godard: The Essential Collection

#31 Post by ProGrain » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:09 am

Is the restoration used by Kino the same as the one used for this collection, or is Kino's better. It's being lauded as a wonderful restoration.

nitin

Re: StudioCanal: Godard: The Essential Collection

#32 Post by nitin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 pm

For Alphaville? If so, yes.