Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Ribs

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2776 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:03 pm

No Man of Her Own is being released tomorrow in the Lombard set!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2777 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Silver Lode is presumably still with VCI

feihong

#2778 Post by feihong » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 am

Ribs wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:03 pm
No Man of Her Own is being released tomorrow in the Lombard set!
Unfortunately, that's the 1932 film (which I haven't seen), rather than the 1950 Mitchell Leisen movie with Barbara Stanwyck. The Stanwyck film was at some point considered to be released on blu ray, but it never happened.

As for Silver Lode, I guess I can only dream. That's probably a movie that needs restoration, I bet.

captveg

#2779 Post by captveg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:54 pm

More OOP based on unavailability on KL's website:

Deceived (1991) (DVD still available)
Last Embrace (1979) (DVD still available)
Sabata (1969) (DVD still available)

Noiradelic

#2780 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 am

feihong wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm
Now, if only KL studio Classics can release Silver Lode, D.O.A., No Man of Her Own and Romance of a Horse Thief on blu ray, and I'll be all set for American movies.
Olive was supposed to release No Man of Her Own; it's Paramount, so Kino won't be releasing it any time soon, as you probably know. D.O.A.'s public domain as you also probably know -- if it hasn't come out yet in better-than-PD quality, I wouldn't take that as a great sign. There are only four American movies unavailable on BD you want to get a release?

HJackson

#2781 Post by HJackson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm

There is a non-crappy DOA out there, from Image IIRC.

L.A.

#2782 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 am

Coming October 27th!

JOE KIDD (1972)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Alex Cox
• NEW Interview with Actor Don Stroud
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Reversible Art
• Poster and Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer (New HD Transfer)
• Two TV Spots
• Radio Spot
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 88 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From John Sturges, the acclaimed director of Bad Day at Black Rock, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Satan Bug and Ice Station Zebra, comes this action-packed western starring screen greats Clint Eastwood (For a Few Dollars More, Two Mules for Sister Sara) and Robert Duvall (The Godfather, Tender Mercies). During a land war in New Mexico at the turn of the century, an ex-bounty hunter (Eastwood) reluctantly helps a wealthy landowner (Duvall) and his henchmen track down a Mexican revolutionary leader (John Saxon, The Appaloosa). Beautifully shot by Bruce Surtees (High Plains Drifter, Night Moves) with a rousing score by Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry, Bullitt) and a wonderful screenplay by Elmore Leonard (3:10 to Yuma, Hombre), Joe Kidd features the top-notch acting skills of Duvall and the rugged charm of Eastwood as a hired gun who takes action based on his own particular sense of justice. The stellar supporting cast includes Don Stroud (Coogan’s Bluff), Paul Koslo (Mr. Majestyk), Gregory Walcott (Prime Cut) and Dick Van Patten (High Anxiety). Joe Kidd is loaded with gunfights, conflicts, and a slam-bang finale which has a locomotive being driven through a saloon.

L.A.

#2783 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 pm

L.A. wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:24 pm
Coming August 25th!

The Sign of the Cross (1932)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Mark A. Vieira, co-author of Cecil B. DeMille
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 126 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of Cleopatra, Reap the Wild Wind, Samson and Delilah and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic and turbulent biblical tale starring screen greats Fredric March (The Eagle and the Hawk), Claudette Colbert (Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife) and Charles Laughton (Witness for the Prosecution). Ancient Rome comes to life on a grand scale in the epic spectacular The Sign of the Cross. In the year 64 A.D., the corrupt and maniacal Emperor Nero Claudius Caesar (Laughton) torches the city so he can blame the ensuing destruction on the unsuspecting Christians. Meanwhile, Roman Prefect Marcus Superbus (March) falls for an innocent and beautiful Christian maiden, Mercia (Elissa Landi, The Count of Monte Cristo). When the seductive and wicked Empress Poppaea (Colbert) learns that she has a romantic rival for Marcus’s attentions, she conspires with Nero to send all Christians to a chilling death. Filled with some of the most outrageous and breathtaking scenes ever filmed, including the infamous “milk bath,” this pre-Code classic is a dynamic testament to DeMille’s visionary style. The great Karl Struss (Sunrise) received an Oscar nomination for his stunning cinematography.
Beaver.

captveg

#2784 Post by captveg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm

KL will be revealing a new ~30 film deal with a distributor by announcing the first title licensed from them this weekend.

captveg

#2785 Post by captveg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 pm
L.A. wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:24 pm
Coming August 25th!

The Sign of the Cross (1932)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Mark A. Vieira, co-author of Cecil B. DeMille
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 126 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of Cleopatra, Reap the Wild Wind, Samson and Delilah and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic and turbulent biblical tale starring screen greats Fredric March (The Eagle and the Hawk), Claudette Colbert (Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife) and Charles Laughton (Witness for the Prosecution). Ancient Rome comes to life on a grand scale in the epic spectacular The Sign of the Cross. In the year 64 A.D., the corrupt and maniacal Emperor Nero Claudius Caesar (Laughton) torches the city so he can blame the ensuing destruction on the unsuspecting Christians. Meanwhile, Roman Prefect Marcus Superbus (March) falls for an innocent and beautiful Christian maiden, Mercia (Elissa Landi, The Count of Monte Cristo). When the seductive and wicked Empress Poppaea (Colbert) learns that she has a romantic rival for Marcus’s attentions, she conspires with Nero to send all Christians to a chilling death. Filled with some of the most outrageous and breathtaking scenes ever filmed, including the infamous “milk bath,” this pre-Code classic is a dynamic testament to DeMille’s visionary style. The great Karl Struss (Sunrise) received an Oscar nomination for his stunning cinematography.
Beaver.
"Almost amusingly, with the higher resolution you can see the Pre-Code 'nakedness', debauchery and bondage more easily - not to mention Joyzelle Joyner and Claudette Colbert's seductiveness. Delicious!"

Never change, Gary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2786 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm

captveg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm
KL will be revealing a new ~30 film deal with a distributor by announcing the first title licensed from them this weekend.
Any guesses who they could be? WB or Sony, maybe? Though I could see WB being conservative but Sony would surely be fine with a huger deal like Universal or SC

feihong

#2787 Post by feihong » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Noiradelic wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 am
feihong wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm
Now, if only KL studio Classics can release Silver Lode, D.O.A., No Man of Her Own and Romance of a Horse Thief on blu ray, and I'll be all set for American movies.
Olive was supposed to release No Man of Her Own; it's Paramount, so Kino won't be releasing it any time soon, as you probably know. D.O.A.'s public domain as you also probably know -- if it hasn't come out yet in better-than-PD quality, I wouldn't take that as a great sign. There are only four American movies unavailable on BD you want to get a release?
Oh, I don't know much, so I appreciate hearing what you know. I did know D.O.A. is public domain, but I didn't remember it was Olive that planned to release No Man of Her Own. But yes, there aren't too many American movies I want to own. But there are a lot of movies from Japan, Hong Kong, China, India, South Korea, France, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy and Brazil I'd like to see on blu ray. I mean, Red Ball Express was already getting pretty far down the list of American movies I'd like to see in HD. I suppose I might add Chan is Missing to my little list of U.S. movies I'd like to see on blu ray...does Zabriskie Point count? But I can't think of many other American films that aren't out somewhere, that I care too much about. There's quite a few films like Written on the Wind and The Reckless Moment that I have on blu ray from France or the U.K.––I count those as having been released. So that's how that list comes together.

captveg

#2788 Post by captveg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 pm
captveg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm
Any guesses who they could be? WB or Sony, maybe? Though I could see WB being conservative but Sony would surely be fine with a huger deal like Universal or SC
Of the big studio options of Paramount, Sony, Disney, Warner and Lionsgate I'm leaning Sony myself. I'm really hoping it's Disney or Warner though, due to the size of their catalogs that are unreleased.

What A Disgrace

#2789 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:15 pm

A Kino deal with Warner Bros. would basically be like getting twice as many Warner Archive discs, with the same inconsistency in the quality of titles but some of them now have Kat Ellinger commentaries.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2790 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Could totally see Kino releasing a ton of MGM silents, especially if the elements weren't up to snuff for full blown restorations.

fdm

#2791 Post by fdm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Pink Panther films perhaps?

Ribs

#2792 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:39 pm

I feel like it’s not a particularly exciting deal judging from having read KL’s posts on the subject - which WB or Disney/Touchstone would be. So I’d lean on it being MGM, Sony, or maybe Paramount. Would be wild if it was Disney/Fox. We can dream!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2793 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:04 pm

The original Gambit is coming soon. That’s Universal so not the new studio announcement. Really fun movie though, and one of only fourteen films out of thousands which Jack Shaheen singled out for having consistently positive portrayals of Arabs in his book Reel Bad Arabs

Ribs

#2794 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:15 am

With the announcement of Aldrich’s ATTACK, the new deal is with MGM.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2795 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Why were they framing it as being a new studio? MGM was the first studio they made a deal with. Also, a lot of these OOP titles are MGM... they just let all those lapse and then signed a new deal? Weird all around.

Ribs

#2796 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:45 pm

It’s not a new studio, it’s a new deal. Kino makes a big show of signing 30, 50 titles and people on the BR forums love making big lists narrowing all the possibilities from hints until they’ve created a full breakdown of titles included. They haven’t had a new deal with MGM in a while, and it’s promising in particular for the TT titles they presumably have licensed to reappear on the market more then anything else. Again, after a bit of a lull presumably due to the move from Fox to WB, the MGM titles will probably begin reappearing as one of the main libraries making up Kino, Arrow, Criterion, and Eureka’s new releases, as well as everyone else.

Again, Kino also must get credit for the speed of its deals, seeing as Criterion signed its SC deal for substantially fewer titles at approximately the same time as Kino’s and yet Kino has basically finished releasing its dozens and dozens of licensed titles when Criterion has essentially yet to release a new one.

captveg

#2797 Post by captveg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Re: The ~30 title MGM deal, KL Insider said this today:

6 of the title had been previously released on Blu-ray in the US, 2 of those will be released on 4K for the first time, 2 others will receive new transfers. All others will be coming out first time on BD. 9 of the films are Kino Lorber releases requested by Walt Olsen from Scorpion, he will oversee those releases and 6 new transfers.

And this:

3 previously released TT titles.

Ribs

#2798 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:55 pm

And also this decade breakdown:

4 - 1950s
5 - 1960s
11 - 1970s
9 - 1980s
1 - 1990s

The 2 UHDs will be from titles not by Twilight Time previously, presumably MGM itself. As MGM is comfortable licensing basically its entire non-Rocky non-Bond library, looking at the biggest titles, I’d think Platoon, Rain Man, or WarGames all seem fairly likely. Maybe Mad Max? Dunno if there’s weird rights things with that one.

captveg

#2799 Post by captveg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Mad Max seems like a logical choice with the Shout Factory release going OOP. MGM owns it in the US, WB owns it in most international territories.

PfR73

#2800 Post by PfR73 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Platoon has an in-print steelbook release from Shout! Factory, which probably precludes Kino releasing it.