InterFilmArt Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Class316

Re: InterFilmArt Entertainment

#76 Post by Class316 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Jonathan S wrote:There is International Historic Films, who offer quite a wide selection of Third Reich cinema in their catalogue.

I've seen and/or own some of their Third Reich releases and found them all watchable, though print quality and transfer method seems to vary, and I think most titles are DVD-R, unless that has changed since I bought Ohm Krüger (which also has a light strobing effect throughout). A few are taken from 35mm and I think all their releases have contextualising extras, quite extensive in some cases. R Dixon Smith (who used to work for Eureka/MoC when he lived in the UK) provides written essays for some of their releases.

IHF is at least a bonafide company who, in my experience, deliver what they promise, and I believe they try their best within their limited means.
Yea I know about them. But I also know that the product looks like a home made copy more than anything else, and prices are disproportionately high. In some cases they claim "restored from 35mm" and what not but I have trouble believing that. I have no doubt they actually try and they do deliver what is advertised. Problem is what is advertised does seem limited, as you claim. And it's so hard to find good reviews on their releases.

Out of curiosity, what is it you bought from them?

And did you ever buy or try out "Jew Suess: The Deluxe Restored Version"? I am curious how restored that truly is. This is what they claim
Historical Slide Show: The Life & Trials of Joseph Süss Oppenheimer by John Abbott
Video Commentary by Harvard's Eric Rentschler
Illustrated 22 page Essay Booklet by Louisiana State University's David Culbert**
Original Promotional Materials and Posters Slide Show
Interactive Scene Selection
Switchable English, French & Italian Subtitles
Digitally Restored from Original 35mm Film Elements using state of the art daVinci RevivalTM Technology by I-Cubed Chicago

Jonathan S

#77 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 am

(Just to be clear, this post relates to International Historic Films, not InterFilmArt!)

I haven't seen IHF's Jud Süss though a friend who bought it told me that one was a pressed disc and the best quality copy he'd ever seen. An Amazon reviewer doubts it has undergone any real restoration and claims a scene is missing (possibly because the print is a reissue).

Of the IHF titles I own or have seen:

Die Rothchilds does look like a 35mm print, though it has no digital clean-up and the otherwise professional-looking transfer is marred by the left edge of the image being out-of-focus.

Kolberg is a pretty solid transfer with good Agfacolor, though inferior to prints shown on German TV

Stosstrup 1917 is a generally decent transfer, though apparently assembled from different prints of varying quality, and there's a semi-transparent IHF corner watermark throughout the film. I recall the official German DVD is better quality but that has no English subs.

Hitlerjunge Quex is - like Ohm Krüger - one of their weaker transfers, 16mm surely, with the same annoying strobing, plus the corner watermark. If that's now standard policy it does indeed put me off buying their product.

None of the IHF titles I've seen look "restored" in the sense of digital clean-up, etc. and I'm sure anyone now accustomed to the exacting standards of blu-ray would be sorely disappointed. IHF seem to me the equivalent of Grapevine for obscure silents; far from ideal, but generally acceptable and occasionally quite impressive for a small company. I agree their prices are high (though in VHS days I paid more for worse quality copies of this type of film!)

In most cases, they are the only commercial releases with English subs and for several titles I'd been unable to find watchable copies since I studied Imperial War Museum prints over 30 years ago. I can't see the most controversial films (at least) getting official restorations until the Third Reich is more or less beyond living memory. And by then it will probably be too late for me!

L.A.

#78 Post by L.A. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 am

Just noticed that International Historic Films, Inc. has released Gold (Karl Hartl, 1934) on DVD and with English subtitles. Does anyone perhaps own the DVD?

Class316

#79 Post by Class316 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Jonathan S wrote:(Just to be clear, this post relates to International Historic Films, not InterFilmArt!)

I haven't seen IHF's Jud Süss though a friend who bought it told me that one was a pressed disc and the best quality copy he'd ever seen. An Amazon reviewer doubts it has undergone any real restoration and claims a scene is missing (possibly because the print is a reissue).

Of the IHF titles I own or have seen:

Die Rothchilds does look like a 35mm print, though it has no digital clean-up and the otherwise professional-looking transfer is marred by the left edge of the image being out-of-focus.

Kolberg is a pretty solid transfer with good Agfacolor, though inferior to prints shown on German TV

Stosstrup 1917 is a generally decent transfer, though apparently assembled from different prints of varying quality, and there's a semi-transparent IHF corner watermark throughout the film. I recall the official German DVD is better quality but that has no English subs.

Hitlerjunge Quex is - like Ohm Krüger - one of their weaker transfers, 16mm surely, with the same annoying strobing, plus the corner watermark. If that's now standard policy it does indeed put me off buying their product.

None of the IHF titles I've seen look "restored" in the sense of digital clean-up, etc. and I'm sure anyone now accustomed to the exacting standards of blu-ray would be sorely disappointed. IHF seem to me the equivalent of Grapevine for obscure silents; far from ideal, but generally acceptable and occasionally quite impressive for a small company. I agree their prices are high (though in VHS days I paid more for worse quality copies of this type of film!)

In most cases, they are the only commercial releases with English subs and for several titles I'd been unable to find watchable copies since I studied Imperial War Museum prints over 30 years ago. I can't see the most controversial films (at least) getting official restorations until the Third Reich is more or less beyond living memory. And by then it will probably be too late for me!
So sadly it seems besides maybe Jud Süss, IHF titles are as a rule pretty bad (even if they are the best available) :cry:

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#80 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Well, unfortunately for those of you that were about to rush out and buy the "restored" "Triumph of the Will" "blu-ray", Amazon appears to have stopped selling it. And the release date has been pushed back to March according to the listing title (because that's where release information goes, right?)

zedz

#81 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 pm

jindianajonz wrote:Well, unfortunately for those of you that were about to rush out and buy the "restored" "Triumph of the Will" "blu-ray", Amazon appears to have stopped selling it. And the release date has been pushed back to March according to the listing title (because that's where release information goes, right?)
Oh fiddlesticks. I think the problem might be that their company name is so cumbersome. Why not streamline that awkward de-hypenated mess of a first word into two easy to remember syllables? IFArt Entertainment. Sounds high tech, but also sort of organic. I like it!

Moe Dickstein

#82 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 pm

A lot of mind energy expended on a fake company here...

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#83 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:28 pm

It's only really wasted if it would have been put to good use otherwise. In my case, at least, I can assure you it wouldn't have been.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:A lot of mind energy expended on a fake company here...
Would you rather we turned more of our japery toward your bros at TT? Be thankful for the diversion!

Class316

#85 Post by Class316 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 am

I wonder what their motive is. Could there really be THAT much money involved in pretending to release Triumph of the Will and Olympia on blu ray? I don't get it.

That aside, I still say a reputable company like Synapse, Kino, or Criterion should do what they say they're doing.

Jeff

#86 Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 pm

The Cranium Awards prompted me to look these guys up again to see what comical mischief they were up to now. Their Facebook page has precisely three likes. I'm guessing the silly litigious guy and his mom, but who else? Who will they sell the other 997 copies to?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#87 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 pm

I can't even find their facebook page; when I search facebook for it I just get a web search.

Apparently the "find us on facebook" button on their site is less an advertisement and more a challenge!

Jeff

#88 Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 pm

jindianajonz wrote:I can't even find their facebook page; when I search facebook for it I just get a web search.

Apparently the "find us on facebook" button on their site is less an advertisement and more a challenge!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Interfil ... 0951204957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashirg

#89 Post by Ashirg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Looks like they also changed their logo on store page.... I wonder why...

Is it me or their slogan doesn't make any sense?
Last edited by Ashirg on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Narrator Returns

#90 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 pm

I love the redundant "Film masterpieces are included" in their status, as if these film masterpieces are batteries.

Moe Dickstein

#91 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 am

It's just endless comedy/

ShellOilJunior

#92 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

This one's up there with the Human Fund and Vandelay Industries.

whaleallright

#93 Post by whaleallright » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 am

They should hook up with that "sign-language" "interpreter" who crashed Nelson Mandela's funeral to create subtitles for the deaf/hard-of-hearing.
Last edited by whaleallright on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShellOilJunior

#94 Post by ShellOilJunior » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 pm

They're setting a new precedent with the Saturday release date.

Possibly a midnight party on Friday?

Jonathan S

#95 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:09 pm

"Beware the Ides of March"....

FlickeringWindow

#96 Post by FlickeringWindow » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Guess who has an eBay account and tried to auction an "original" nitrate print of the 1910 Edison Frankenstein?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281228343299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/usr/interfilmartentertainment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are also trying to auction 16mm scope prints of the first two Godfather movies and a Kodachrome print created in 2001 of House of Dark Shadows.

Moe Dickstein

#97 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Sometime the sequel is as good as the original

Gregory

#98 Post by Gregory » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 pm

The print is basically in acceptable if not good condition....I am looking for a qualified and verified buyer whom is willing to go as high as $15,000.00.
Keep reaching for the stars, InterFilmArtEnterTainMent.

Props55

#99 Post by Props55 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Well they may not be providing any FILM ART but they certainly now how to entertain! "The hits (or is it misses) just keep on coming"

Jonathan S

#100 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 am

Gregory wrote:
The print is basically in acceptable if not good condition....I am looking for a qualified and verified buyer whom is willing to go as high as $15,000.00.
Keep reaching for the stars, InterFilmArtEnterTainMent.
Well, that's a snip compared to the million dollars I recall Dettlaff asked for his unique print, still the only prime source for this film as far as I know. If they have an original nitrate of the Edison Frankenstein, I presume this is the Dettlaff print - though to run for the claimed 32 minutes a one-reeler (it's 975ft according to the Silent Era site) would have to be projected at only 8 or 9fps!