Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
What A Disgrace

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1626 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:42 pm

There's plenty of reasons to keep the 101 Films edition of Phase IV. All of the supplements, including the essential selection of short films, remain exclusive to the 101, while Vinegar's supplements are themselves all seemingly unique.

beamish14

#1627 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:31 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:42 pm
There's plenty of reasons to keep the 101 Films edition of Phase IV. All of the supplements, including the essential selection of short films, remain exclusive to the 101, while Vinegar's supplements are themselves all seemingly unique.

Yep. This is a rare double dip title for me. The shorts are extraordinary

Blip Martindale

#1628 Post by Blip Martindale » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 pm

Speaking of mid-century designers, like Saul Bass, I surely would like VS or some other boutique label to make an effort at releasing all of the Eames films in a huge box set. The Eames company itself has released a few dozen in poor quality on DVD, but there are something like 125 films total, and their cultural importance and aesthetic beauty are well worth preserving. I mean, they're just charming and inventive as hell. I imagine licensing may be an issue (they seem very possessive of their work, and there are other companies involved, i.e. Herman Miller, so licensing within licensing) but it would be a wonderful thing to have.

What A Disgrace

#1629 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:45 pm

Partook of the Melusine Valentine's Day sale today. Two Films By Arthur J. Bressan Jr., The Tale of Tiffany Lust, and the Findlay trilogy for $66, when combined with a previous Vinegar Syndrome order.

Matt

#1630 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:19 pm

I really like the Bressan films, more optimistic and affirming than most gay films of the time. The Findlay films, on the other hand, I never want to watch again!

therewillbeblus

#1631 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 am

dwk wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:13 pm
Red Rock West is from a new 4k scan of the Interpositive, so it should look better than previous releases. Having said that, the price for these fancy VS editions is a little much.
I'm glad I upgraded (though the mediabook packaging is a bit much, and just out of place for this movie in about every way, but that's a design thing) because the new scan looks very good. It's very grainy, but I feel like the picture's always been kinda waxed or condensed or something but now features and details breathe with a filmic presentation. It doesn't matter a ton, since this has never been a visually arresting film. Some neo-noirs I return to in large part due to their aesthetic pleasures, like Devil in a Blue Dress or The Hot Spot, but this is a film with a distinctive and wonderful atmosphere that doesn't try to look pretty. Anyways, I've wanted to see this look more fluid and film-like for a while now, having mostly watched it on TV or VHS as a kid and not being too pleased with recent releases, so this is a winner just for that.

Finch

#1632 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 am

Deep Discount have a listing for the regular edition of Southern Comfort for 2/27 but I saw members on the film's BR thread say that Vinegar Syndrome have boosted the colors too much (and on their Horrible Dr Hichcock 4k too) like on some of their older titles which is most evident in the cast's skintones. I think I'm going to hold off for a couple more months and see if Second Sight come through with their own edition (of SC).

Peacock

#1633 Post by Peacock » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 am

Finch

#1634 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 pm

What A Disgrace

#1635 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:57 pm

Red Rock West is going fast. Hopefully it will keep until next Friday, so I can pop it into the basket with the March announcements.

What A Disgrace

#1636 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:38 pm

Dr. Terror 4K is up for pre-order, as is Jack Nicholson's Goin' South from Cinématographe. And Canadian International Pictures is rolling out the first volume of a series dedicated to Canadian animation - with the big boy himself, Norman McLaren, represented twice.

TechnicolorAcid

#1637 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:48 pm

And not just any McLaren short but the one that won him his Oscar. Also excited to own The Big Snit in this set since it was championed as an influence of Don Hertzfeldt himself.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1638 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:24 pm

What is the consensus on Goin' South? It's one I've meant to see for years, and a 4K is tempting. But I'm not sure it's $30 tempting.

Also, I know Domino hates it, but are there favorable feelings on 5 Card Stud? It's another that I've been interested in seeing as the blending of Western and who-dunnit has sounded appealing to me.

Randall Maysin Again

#1639 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:32 pm

Haven't seen it...but it's supposed to have an unbe-LIEVABLY hammy, leering, ridiculous performance from Nicholson, which has always made me curious. I didn't really like it when he went hypertrophically hammy in The Departed, but that was because his character was powerful and sinister and macho and kind of overbearing, while I bet I'd absolutely love to see him be go apeshit while playing some random idiot!

Randall Maysin Again

#1640 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:38 pm

"He's like a commercial for cunnilingus". - Pauline Kael

jazzo

#1641 Post by jazzo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:36 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:24 pm
What is the consensus on Goin' South? It's one I've meant to see for years, and a 4K is tempting. But I'm not sure it's $30 tempting.

Also, I know Domino hates it, but are there favorable feelings on 5 Card Stud? It's another that I've been interested in seeing as the blending of Western and who-dunnit has sounded appealing to me.
I'm curious, as well. It almost sounds like it could be From Noon Til Three, which is a picture I like quite a bit, but if the trailer's tone is anything to go on, it seems to be something far more broad, which maybe ain't my cuppa tea.

Don't both trying to find blog reviews. The few I was able to source are essentially just plot summaries for the entire entry. Yeesh.

What A Disgrace

#1642 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:13 am

Is anyone familiar with Adil & Bilal's Rebel? Unlike most Yellow Veil released films, it has genuinely good reception all around, and its directors are launching into what looks like a simultaneously lucrative and ill-fated Hollywood career.

beamish14

#1643 Post by beamish14 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:11 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:24 pm

Goin’ South is what Quentin Tarantino would call a “hangout movie.” There isn’t a whole lot of narrative and if you’re looking for a rough, more profane western like China 9, Liberty 37, you won’t find it here.

I believe this was the movie Nestor Almendros had to leave Days of Heaven for

beamish14

#1644 Post by beamish14 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:24 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:38 pm
Dr. Terror 4K is up for pre-order, as is Jack Nicholson's Goin' South from Cinématographe. And Canadian International Pictures is rolling out the first volume of a series dedicated to Canadian animation - with the big boy himself, Norman McLaren, represented twice.

This is what I’ve been dying for. So much incredible stuff for them to hopefully release in the future. I hope we get Caroline Leaf’s work with the NFB

What A Disgrace

#1645 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:45 pm

Yes, the animation collection is the most excited I've been foe a CIP release aside from the Other French New Wave set. The only way I could be more happy is if it were a collection of McLaren's body of work.

Roger Ryan

#1646 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:46 am

I loved 5 Card Stud so much that I went to see it twice when first released… when I was five! Having seen a few more Westerns and what-have-you since, I can’t say it held up for me when I watched it a third time about 54 years later. It’s very odd seeing Mitchum play a character so close to his Night of the Hunter preacher, but in the service of a much weaker film. I suppose the mixing of genres is the most interesting thing about it. This infuses the standard Western tropes with sort of a noir fatalism which I think is the thing that appealed to me as a kid for some reason.

Finch

#1647 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 am

Abel Ferrera's Dangerous Game is the next Cinematographe title.

Maltic

#1648 Post by Maltic » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:51 am

Nice, though I wonder why they don't put out a UHD?

therewillbeblus

#1649 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:48 am

More inexplicably is why Singapore Sling, one of the most visually-delicious films I've ever seen, is blu-only... Anyways, what a thrilling announcement! My understanding was that the music rights made it almost impossible for Nikolaidis' work to receive physical releases (Fran seemed to allude to this beyond just the U.K.), but glad to be proven that it's not impossible! Maybe VS will rescue California Split too

This may be the best example, along with Freeway - which is puritanical, comparatively - of a title that is unapologetically straight up VS' alley and yet a bonafide masterpiece. I'm glad others will have the chance to enjoy a crisp presentation of this surreal noir-comedy-horror-fantasy-whateveritis

Grand Wazoo

#1650 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:03 am

Seems like we're forgetting to celebrate the 10,000 copy limited edition UHD of Navy Seals (MSRP 64.99)