Code Red

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Code Red

#176 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm

My mail has actually been coming super fast lately, and it's like Victorian days of old in that we're getting multiple deliveries a day from USPS. But yes, it's not unheard of for arrival scans to not happen at all and not see any movement on tracking til it hits a distro hub. But c'mon, this is Code Red, Code Red Guy printed the label to secure the funds and then put off shipping it, like all his packages

Arrow

#177 Post by Arrow » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Every time I’ve ordered from the Code Red site, the tracking number provided through PayPal never updates, the package just arrives 2 weeks to 2 months later. And if the conversations on Blu-ray.com are any indication, that is common.

Adam X

#178 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:42 am

The one time I ordered from the Big Cartel store during a brief window of taking international orders, the tracking quite quickly registered as being “delivered” somewhere in the US. It did eventually turn up (in Australia) though. From what I’ve seen, it’s like others have stated, it can take a while with Code Red, but mainly that’s ‘cause it’s essentially a one-man business. And as you found, he doesn’t seem to take order inquiries well.

dwk

#179 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 am

So perfectly Code Red. He opened up another online store and when you click on terms and conditions you get this

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#180 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am

The responses in the RSP thread are marvelous :
"Free shipping on orders of $150 or more. $80 worth of merchandise in the store (currently). To get free shipping you'd have to order 2 of each item. If you order more than one copy of anything YOU'RE A HOARDER WHO RUIN EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE!"
"That's like a BOGO: buy one, get one." "With Bill’s shitty fulfilment, it’s more like Buy One, Get One If You’re Lucky. Eventually."

dwk

#181 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:19 pm

SpiderBaby

#182 Post by SpiderBaby » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am

Cronenfly

#183 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Hope this hasn’t already been addressed, but does Code Red do different discs when they are being sold exclusively versus when they are in general distribution? The Almost Human disc, for instance, looks to have different specs depending on who you are buying it from, with much less included on the general release version.

Adam X

#184 Post by Adam X » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 am

I think it varies disc to disc, but yeah, Almost Human lost some extras. A quick glance at BD.com suggests most Kino-distributed editions have had some extras cut - at least based on the back covers.

Grand Wazoo

#185 Post by Grand Wazoo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:28 pm
Code Red just branched off into an additional simultaneous label, Dark Force Entertainment-- kind of like signing up for a new credit card to offset your existing credit card debt, but okay
I have intermittently kept up with the bizarre saga of Code Red/Dark Force out of prurient interest via some other message boards while adhering to my pledge to no longer support someone acting the way Code Red Bill does. He seems to have, somehow, found an equally unstable weirdo to work with him at Dark Force which has led to numerous unhinged facebook posts but this latest stunt still managed to surprise me:
now-deleted Dark Force facebook post wrote:A SIGN FROM THE REAL DARK FORCES or COINCIDENCE? As Dark Force Entertainment awaits the arrival of the next new release ATOR The Fighting Eagle, a killer named Ator went on a shooting rampage this holiday weekend in Texas. Another in a series of ominous coincidences that started back during the making of "the most brutal film ever released" CHAOS. Makes you wonder DO THE DARK FORCES REALLY EXIST? Stay tuned...
Followed the next day by this:
ATOR RELEASE UPDATE:
Due to the controversy over last night's post about a bizarre coincidence with ATOR and real life violence DARK FORCE has decided to pull the ATOR release. Although the release is currently in replication and cost us a considerable amount of money being a custom slipcover release, as a show of good faith we do not want to risk it causing any further emotional trauma for sensitive individuals. We apologize for the insensitivity of the post. Being Dark Force we are accustomed to promoting movies that are very violent and often deal with the dark side. That can sometimes unintentionally cross over to real life as well.
Our Sincere Apologies,
Dark Force
Please stay tuned for more MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENTS later in the day regarding upcoming changes DARK FORCE will also be undergoing as a result of last night's events. Thank You, Management.
And then whatever the hell is happening here:
DARK FORCE goes totally DARK: CAN A VIDEO LABEL OPERATE SUCCESSFULLY WITH ZERO SOCIAL MEDIA?
Guess Dark Force Entertainment is about to find out before the week ends as it will be devoid of any social media platforms whatsoever. The Dark Force website will still remain but only as a portal to the Store and to contact us. There will be NO UPDATES or marketing done on the website. If you want to know when Dark Force is having a sale...GO TO THE STORE. If you want to know when the next DRIVE-IN release is coming out...GO TO THE STORE and see if it's there. You want to know what that huge cult 70's movie we got the negative to is...GO TO THE STORE and see if it's for sale. You can still contact us via the website, email or via the store however THERE WILL BE NO INFORMATION REGARDING ANY OF THE RELEASES OR TITLES FOR SALES AVAILABLE. The only way to get information will be to visit the Dark Force Superstore. Time will soon tell how this new "Dark Strategy" works out for us.
I dunno, man. It's all so bafflingly stupid. I figured it may be worth posting for posterity and on the minuscule chance anywhere here still supports them.

Big Ben

#186 Post by Big Ben » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:23 am

I mean it reads like a shitpost, and a low quality one at that. The incoherence between those three post is something to behold but what kills me is that they don't specify why they pulled Ator just that real world things happened. As if this label has this level of exposure.

And what the hell is with the part about no social media presence? I just cannot fathom what these guys are on to think that this is a good idea.

Luke M

#187 Post by Luke M » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:12 am

I like how they apologize that some people just can't handle it when their movies influence real life events.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#188 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 am

Stupid people doing stupid things.
Wait unt Bill complains about nobody buying this stuff and losing tons of money on Ator.

M Sanderson

#189 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 am

Just sent for Fulci’s Conquest. Anyone seen this Blu ray? What can I expect in terms of PQ from this “new 2019 master”?

M Sanderson

#190 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 am

Conquest looks decent. Definitely a home video challenge given how it was shot. Guessing it’d look better with a restoration by Indicator or Arrow, not like that’s happening. But, grateful to have access to Conquest. Such a strange film. As I was watching it I was uncertain if buying it was a very good or bad idea. I was kind of oscillating between the two. When I approached it as a film set in a genre the director doesn’t seem to like, I found it more interesting.

Possibly there’s something admirable the way Fulci makes the film as muddy, cramped and unheroic as he does. The film seems to be a collection of messy scuffles and ambushes by villains of protagonists when they fall asleep by fires after eating or fucking or bonding with barely thought out philosophical discussions. The film falls somewhere between ugly/messy/indifferent and vague/poetic/inspired. Watching the film, I wondered if this was Fulci emphasising not Lovecraft but Clark Ashton Smith (disorientation of time and space via evil sorcery rather than creatures beyond our ken).

I struggled to sum this film up, but found phrases like “torpid momentum” and “nebulous light” and “director as saboteur” coming to me, as I started to come to a peculiar admiration of parts of this film. Worth seeing when you’re on the director’s wavelength, looking for his peculiarities as he probably struggles with a production ill suited to him. Fulci depicted a lot of fractured narratives during his early ‘80s “zombie peak” and here his approach is suited to the material which depicts small minded or barbaric communities.

I didn’t like the laser bow and arrow deus ex machina but maybe I shouldn’t be too hard on Fulci because Barker certainly got away with it in Hellraiser when the puzzle box zaps away Cenobites.

Grand Wazoo

#191 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:16 am

M Sanderson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:15 am
Conquest looks decent. Definitely a home video challenge given how it was shot. Guessing it’d look better with a restoration by Indicator or Arrow, not like that’s happening.
In the words of Code Red Bill:
Fotokem charge me $1,700 to make Italian new master look good. blu sales was really poor. I dont film was ever photographed clean.

M Sanderson

#192 Post by M Sanderson » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 am

Definitely worth supporting I’d say. Yes Fulci seems to have shot it as foggy and soft as was possible. A peculiar film with merits especially if you see it as a kind of experimentation of barbarian and peplum features.

Oh it’s looking like BU’s release of House... is another stunning success, going by the rave reviews I’m starting to see.

dwk

#193 Post by dwk » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:55 pm

Bananaman is re-releasing Trick or Treats (1982) on Blu on October 5th. This will be distributed by Kino.

pistolwink

#194 Post by pistolwink » Mon May 29, 2023 11:46 am

Did folks know that Bill Olsen died?

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/sta ... 2820953093

SeizureMilk

#195 Post by SeizureMilk » Mon May 29, 2023 3:03 pm

pistolwink wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:46 am
Did folks know that Bill Olsen died?

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/sta ... 2820953093
Pretty sure this was posted in the Passages thread.