Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Telstar

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1426 Post by Telstar » Thu May 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Seems like Beev might be a bit generous re Diabolik image quality.

FlickeringWindow

#1427 Post by FlickeringWindow » Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm

It's definitely not an upscale. Obviously, a new transfer would have been preferred, but it looks very good upscaled on my 4K display. Main issue is that there's not really any dirt/scratch removal, but I don't see any noise reduction issues either. Too bad Paramount didn't provide anything new, but given that it's a DeLaurentiis production, who knows what they have access to.

L.A.

#1428 Post by L.A. » Thu May 28, 2020 5:11 pm

What would be awesome if the soundtrack to DD gets released someday, that is if the original master tapes are available (probably not).

Fortisquince

#1429 Post by Fortisquince » Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 pm

I watched Shout's blu-ray of the Deer Hunter last night. Keep in mind that while I have a fine blu-ray player, it does not play UHD discs. For UHD, I have to use my Fire Stick and I do have a 4K tv. I thought that the blu-ray disc encode looked horrible. The film was incredibly dark, sometimes blacking out the whole screen, and the colors seemed strange too, over-saturated and blotchy. So, basically, my experience matches DVD' Beaver's with the recent UK UHD release of the film. If you can see this film in UHD, it probably looks great, but if not not, then don't buy it. And there's no digital code to allow you to see the film in 2160P by another means. Oh well.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1430 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Not all the August releases seem to have been mentioned here. Releases also include:

Tales from the Darkside
The Phantom of the Opera
(Hammer)
The Resistance Fighter
Ride Your Wave
Swallow
When Calls the Heart
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind

So far these are announced for September:

Ghost Ship
Weathering with You
How to Make a Monster
War of the Colossal Beast

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1431 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:41 pm

Ghost Ship
I’m not sure I ever saw much more of this than the opening scene, but I’ve never forgotten it. Probably the most graphic and inventive use of gore I can recall in a mainstream horror film— it actually made me feel bad and I stopped watching it! I’m pretty sure all my interim years of duty in slashers et al will find this pretty innocent and inoffensive now, but it def left a mark in my memory

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1432 Post by cdnchris » Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 pm

It's a wild opening, and probably the best, most inventive part of the film. Nothing else lives up to it and the rest of the film is about as generic horror as you get from that point on.

Glowingwabbit

#1433 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:39 pm
It's a wild opening, and probably the best, most inventive part of the film. Nothing else lives up to it and the rest of the film is about as generic horror as you get from that point on.
Yeah I decided to revisit this one last week. The opening is still fantastic but its all downhill from there (and by that I mean it becomes as mundane a horror film as possible). It's been a week and I've already almost forgotten what follows.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1434 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm

Looking at the slew of Letterboxd reviews, they all say the same (Great opening, not great everything else), except for this thought-provoking outlier
in my factual opinion every straight man would fuck a sexy titty ghost and you can't convince me otherwise!

colinr0380

#1435 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:18 am

Spoilers, domino! :wink: But yes, its a surprisingly innovative and shocking opening followed by the rest of the film clambering around a rusty ship in darkness experiencing murky jump scares (pretty much the exact same structure as Dark Castle's previous release, the House on Haunted Hill remake, though it worked a bit better there, and in the subsequent Thir13en Ghosts which was directed by Ghost Ship's director and felt a bit of a step forward). I would probably direct towards the goofily entertaining Deep Rising (was Treat Williams the unlikeliest action star of the late 90s?), the Jamie Lee Curtis film Virus (or now the videogame Man of Medan) quicker if you want monstery-aquatic terror.

I wonder how much of the issues with lack of character development over effects in these films are caused by that late 90s trend of Visual Effects artists getting their chance to direct a film: both Steve Beck (director of Ghost Ship and Thir13en Ghosts) and John Bruno (Virus) worked on effects for The Abyss. So it may be possible to guess ahead of time where the focus of the film may fall!

It is nice to see Weathering With You, Makoto Shinkai's anime film following Your Name, getting a release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1436 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:10 am

I really enjoyed Deep Rising on the level of being a big, silly PG-13 movie action film that somehow found its way into being a gory, R rated monster movie! That one also features a memorable exit by one of the major cast members that’s not quite Deep Blue Sea-level subversive but still is quite unexpected and darkly comic

And of course I looove the House on Haunted Hill remake, though I’ve never found a second for that opinion on this forum!

colinr0380

#1437 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:38 am

You can really see all the 'scary and horrific but not too dwelling on the deaths and more weighted towards action sequences' qualities in Deep Rising that Stephen Sommers would then even more successfully apply to the first two Mummy films. Where they are scary monster movies but paced more like exhilarating thrillrides for audiences who would not be too into out and out horror films.

I did get a little bit irritated in the House on Haunted Hill remake by that early scene showing Geoffrey Rush's big gimmick of having a rollercoaster just in front of your car derail spectacularly before the tracks somehow perfectly come together again to let the paying guest's car pass by safely wildly unbelievable as any kind of constantly repeatable theme park ride experience! But other than that and once I knew that it was going to be incredibly unsubtle and blackly comic in its effects it was easy enough to relax into the over the top nature of them (which like the One Missed Call remake are mostly of the screaming demon, Jacob's Ladder variety). That Quay Brothers inspired opening credit sequence was an interesting approach to take, and the opening asylum riot scene very impactful (great to see Jeffrey Combs in there as the doctor!). The trip to the mansion to a Marilyn Manson song was also amusing, and while the big twist of the film is very different from the original:
SpoilerShow
where whilst there is a lot of fakery going on, there are real ghosts at work too, who give the bitchy main couple their much deserved comeuppance!
It still keeps that core of back-biting bitchiness of the original film! (I still think that lady with the video camera did not deserve her fate though, even though her spooky sequence being able to see ghosts with her camera's viewscreen is the other highlight of the film along with the opening credits)

I would be curious what your thoughts on the Thir13en Ghosts remake were domino, as that is similarly quite tongue in cheek and all about the stylistics of that glass house more than about the relatively mundane plot. That might be my favourite out of the Dark Castle films.

dwk

#1438 Post by dwk » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm

September Scream Factory releases:
Event Horizon (new 4K scan)
Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 (drops the intros from the initial release)
Masque of the Red Death (also in the VP Collection Vol. 1)

Glowingwabbit

#1439 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:23 pm

dwk wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm
Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 (drops the intros from the initial release)
According to their fb page this will have some new extras.

jazzo

#1440 Post by jazzo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Shout will also be releasing Justin Kurzel's True History of the Kelly Gang on September 8.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1441 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Discussion of Scream Factory’s release of the Tenant split off here

M Sanderson

#1442 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 am

Received my copies of the fresh scan releases of Curse of the Werewolf and Escape from LA. Very happy with them.

Shout seem to be on a roll and I need to grab Glengarry Glen Ross as well.

dwk

#1443 Post by dwk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:16 pm

No Tattoo for you
*** Update on TATTOO (1981)***

We hate to break bad news but our previously announced Blu-ray release of the 1981 thriller TATTOO has been cancelled.

We're sincerely sorry for getting hopes up for anyone who was interested in the release. (We were excited about it too.) Unfortunately, it was discovered later in our production process that we did not have usable film elements to create a new and suitable HD master. If any developments that are promising on that front surfaces in the future, we’ll put it back on the schedule and re-announce.

If you pre-ordered through us directly on our site, our customer service department has issued refunds as of today. Please allow for up to 5 business days for them to be processed.

Adam X

#1444 Post by Adam X » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am

I don't have any experience licensing films for home video, but it seems like the least you'd want to do before announcing a release is check the elements/master you have to work with?

willoneill

#1445 Post by willoneill » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 am

Devil's advocate: maybe SF was told they were getting a good master by its source, and only discovered its condition once they received it for themselves.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1446 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:55 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am
I don't have any experience licensing films for home video, but it seems like the least you'd want to do before announcing a release is check the elements/master you have to work with?
I thought we learned from Children of Paradise and Madame de... that this is not how it works

Adam X

#1447 Post by Adam X » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah, I guess it would be better to say that that's how it should happen. I know there are schedules, and finance and such and things can't always been done with so much sufficient lead time, but it feels a bit like paying for some renovations (and announcing a grand reopening date), before the job's been done.

EDIT: Oh, forget it. I mangled that allegory on the way out the door. I'm sure that sort of thing happens all the time too. In fact I work for a place that did prety much just that.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1448 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:33 pm

In the vast majority of cases, labels can get a sample of the master upfront to know what they'll get. However, it happens in some cases, though they're the exception rather than the norm, that they don't, and only get the whole thing when it's paid for and sent. Remember that in some cases, labels ended up paying upfront for a "HD" master that turned out to be so bad they had to cancel the whole thing, and that was (of course) at their own expenses.

I guess Tattoo was from a licensor Shout had been getting stuff from already and that they trusted technically. They expected this project to go like past ones and thus retro-planned accordingly in a routine fashion (including doing the announcement, commissionning the cover, etc). Except it didn't go like past projects, and with such a kind of planification, when crap like this happens, you're stuck head first.

I guess the deeper issue though is the market's over-reliance on pre-existing HD masters, whose quality varies way too much but still allow some labels to licence and release whatever they get. There probably was a good reason for Tattoo to never have been released on BD anywhere so far, and maybe that was it. The lack of recent remaster or restoration work should be a marker for caution, but since some labels are happy sourcing their BD releases from decade old HD masters, issues like this are bound to happen. The same thing happened recently in France with Blake Edwards' Switch, most likely for the exact same reasons (the label's explanation, in any case, was extremely similar to Shout's).
swo17 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:55 am
Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am
I thought we learned from Children of Paradise and Madame de... that this is not how it works
These 2 examples seem a bit different because these were genuine brand new restorations. Children of Paradise was the 1st B&W French movie to be restored in 4K, while Madame De was a 2K restoration from Eclair/Gaumont that really didn't have any reason to be that bad. So I can understand Criterion trusting that the work performed would yield good results, but both got botched in ways that are actually quite rare.
Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:04 pm
Yeah, I guess it would be better to say that that's how it should happen. I know there are schedules, and finance and such and things can't always been done with so much sufficient lead time, but it feels a bit like paying for some renovations (and announcing a grand reopening date), before the job's been done.
I guess it's all a question of how many times it happens to labels. I can totally understand that if 99% of their projects can be done following a certain retro-planning that lasts, say, 6 months, there's no real reason to standardise a workflow that implies anticipating, say, a whole year instead. But of course, because we only see the public's side of it, we have no idea about this and the releases that stand out aren't all the ones that are delivered on-time, but the few that are delayed or cancelled.

dwk

#1449 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:56 am

Amazon has leaked Scream's October releases:
Friday the 13th collection (16 discs)
Terror in the Aisles
Pumpkinhead (steelbook, new 4k scan)
Motel Hell (steelbook, new 4k scan)

And Shout's:
Adaptation
The Captain's Collection (4 documentaries by William Shatner)

And Gkids
My Neighbor Totoro Steelbook
Princess Mononoke Steelbook

Adam X

#1450 Post by Adam X » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:29 pm

They've posted what's planned, so far, for the Friday the 13th boxset. Not sure how this compares to the previous set, but it's really late:
SpoilerShow
Bonus Features

DISCS ONE & TWO: FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative (Theatrical Cut And Unrated Cut)
Audio Commentary With Director Sean S. Cunningham, Screenwriter Victor Miller, And More (Unrated Cut)
Fresh Cuts: New Tales From Friday The 13th
The Man Behind The Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham
A Friday The 13th Reunion
Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 1
Vintage Fangoria Magazine Article (BD Rom – NEW To The Set)
TV Spots (NEW To The Set)
S. Radio Spots (NEW To The Set)
K. Radio Spot (NEW To The Set)
S. Theatrical Trailer
International Theatrical Trailer (NEW To The Set)

DISC THREE: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 (1981)
NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative
Amy Steel Podcast Interview
Inside Crystal Lake Memories: The Book
Friday's Legacy: Horror Conventions
Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 2
Radio Spots (NEW To The Set)
Theatrical Trailer

DISC FOUR: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 (1982)
NEW 4K Scan From The Original Film Elements
In 2D And A NEW 3D Version
Audio Commentary With Actors Larry Zerner, Paul Kratka, Richard Brooker, And Dana Kimmell
Fresh Cuts: 3D Terror
Legacy Of The Mask
Slasher Films: Going For The Jugular
Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 3
Theatrical Trailer

DISC FIVE: FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER (1984)
NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative
Audio Commentary With Director Joe Zito, Screenwriter Barney Cohen, And Editor Joel Goodman
Audio Commentary With Fans/Filmmakers Adam Green And Joe Lynch
Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 4
Slashed Scenes With Audio Commentary By Director Joseph Zito
Jason's Unlucky Day: 25 Years After Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
The Lost Ending
The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part I
Jimmy's Dead Dance Moves
TV Spot (NEW To The Set)
Theatrical Trailer

DISC SIX: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART V: A NEW BEGINNING (1985)
NEW Audio Commentary With Melanie Kinnaman, Deborah Voorhees, And Tiffany Helm
Audio Commentary With Director/Co-screenwriter Danny Steinmann, Actors John Shepherd And Shavar Ross
Audio Commentary With Fans/Filmmakers Adam Green And Joe Lynch (NEW To The Set)
Lost Tales From Camp Blood – Part 5
The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part II
New Beginnings: The Making Of Friday The 13th Part V
Theatrical Trailer

DISC SEVEN: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI: JASON LIVES (1986)
NEW Audio Commentary With Thom Mathews, Vinny Gustaferro, Kerry Noonan, Cynthia Kania, And CJ Graham
Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Tom McLoughlin
Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Tom McLoughlin, Actor Vincent Guastaferro, And Editor Bruce Green
Audio Commentary With Fans/Filmmakers Adam Green And Joe Lynch (NEW To The Set)
Lost Tales From Camp Blood - Part 6
The Crystal Lake Massacres Revisited Part III
Jason Lives: The Making Of Friday The 13th: Part VI
Meeting Mr. Voorhees
Slashed Scenes
TV Spots (NEW to the Set)
Theatrical Trailer

DISC EIGHT: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD (1987)
Audio Commentary With Director John Carl Buechler And Actor Kane Hodder
Audio Commentary With Director John Carl Buechler And actors Lar Park Lincoln And Kane Hodder
Jason's Destroyer: The Making Of Friday The 13th Part VII
Mind Over Matter: The Truth About Telekinesis
Makeover By Maddy: Need A Little Touch-Up Work, My A**
Slashed Scenes With Introduction
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spot (NEW To The Set)

DISC NINE: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989)
Audio Commentary With Director Rob Hedden
Audio Commentary With Actors Scott Reeves, Jensen Daggett, And Kane Hodder
New York Has A New Problem: The Making Of Friday The 13th Part VIII – Jason Takes Manhattan
Slashed Scenes
Gag Reel
Theatrical Trailer

DISCS TEN & ELEVEN: JASON GOES TO HELL: THE FINAL FRIDAY (1993)
NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements (Theatrical Version)
NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements With HD inserts (Unrated Version)
NEW Interviews With Sean Cunningham, Noel Cunningham, Adam Marcus, And Kane Hodder
NEW Audio Commentary With Adam Marcus And Author Peter Bracke
Audio Commentary With Director Adam Marcus And Screenwriter Dean Lorey
Additional TV Footage With NEW Optional Audio Commentary With Director Adam Marcus And Author Peter Bracke
Electronic Press Kit (NEW To The Set)
Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWELVE: JASON X (2002)
NEW Audio Commentary With Kane Hodder, Writer Todd Farmer, And Peter Bracke
NEW Interviews With Sean Cunningham, Noel Cunningham, Kane Hodder, Kristi Angus, And Todd Farmer
Audio Commentary With Director Jim Isaac, Writer Todd Farmer, And Producer Noel Cunningham
The Many Lives Of Jason Voorhees – A Documentary On The History Of Jason
By Any Means Necessary: The Making Of Jason X – Making-Of/Production Documentary
Electronic Press Kit (NEW To The Set)
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spot (NEW To The Set)

DISC THIRTEEN: FREDDY VS. JASON (2003)
Audio Commentary With Director Ronny Yu, Actors Robert Englund And Ken Kirzinger
21 Deleted/Alternate Scenes, Including The Original Opening And Ending With Optional Commentary By Director Ronny Yu And Executive Producer Douglas Curtis
Behind-The-Scenes Coverage Of The Film's Development – Including Screenwriting, Set Design, Makeup, Stunts, And Principal Photography
Visual Effects Exploration
My Summer Vacation: A Visit To Camp Hackenslash
Pre-Fight Press Conference At Bally’s Casino In Las Vegas
Original Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Music Video: Ill Nino "How Can I Live"

DISC FOURTEEN: FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009)
Hacking Back/Slashing Forward – Remembering The Groundbreaking Original Movie
Terror Trivia Track With Picture-In-Picture Comments From The Cast And Crew
The Rebirth Of Jason Voorhees – A Look At The Making Of
Additional Slashed Scenes
The Best 7 Kills

DISC FIFTEEN: BONUS DISC (#1)
NEW Interview With Composer Harry Manfredini
NEW Location Featurette On Parts 1 & 2
The Friday The 13th Chronicles – An 8-Part Featurette
Secrets Galore Behind The Gore – A 3-Part Featurette
Crystal Lake Victims Tell All!
Tales From The Cutting Room Floor
Friday The 13th Artifacts And Collectibles
Jason Forever – Q&A With Ari Lehman, Warrington Gillette, C.J. Graham, And Kane Hodder
And More To Be Announced…

DISC SIXTEEN: BONUS DISC (#2)
Scream Queens: Horror Heroines Exposed (2014) – Including Interviews With Adrienne King And Melanie Kinnaman (78 minutes)
Slice And Dice: The Slasher Film Forever (2013) – Including Interviews With Corey Feldman And John Carl Buechler (75 minutes)
Trailer Reel – All 12 Trailers In A Row
Friday The 13th (2009) TV Spots
Friday The 13th (2009) Electronic Press Kit
And More To Be Announced…