Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
DRW.mov

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2001 Post by DRW.mov » Fri May 17, 2019 3:39 pm

WooHoo! Been waiting on a restoration of this movie forever!

Fans of Petzold’s PHOENIX; Return from the Ashes is based on the same source novel, but continues the story through two more acts. Its a superbly Hitchcockian thriller thats been unavailable for far too long.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2002 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 17, 2019 3:42 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:39 pm
Fans of Petzold’s PHOENIX; Return from the Ashes is based on the same source novel, but continues the story through two more acts.
Sold!

DRW.mov

#2003 Post by DRW.mov » Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Fans of Hitchcock, Reed, Clouzot, or Petzold should definitely give it a spin.

JSC

#2004 Post by JSC » Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

I bought this film as an MOD when there was that brief MGM Limited Edition series.
Apart from a couple of clunky exposition scenes at the beginning, it's a fascinating film.
Schell, Thulin, and Eggar are all great in it. Plus, I've always enjoyed seeing Herbert
Lom in anything really.

movielocke

#2005 Post by movielocke » Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 am

domino harvey wrote:How have I never heard of this with that cast and crew?
I’m stunned there exist films you have not seen!

Kino Insider

#2006 Post by Kino Insider » Mon May 20, 2019 3:26 pm

Coming July 23rd!
Updated Extras!

Sweet Charity (1969) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 4K Restoration of the Roadshow Edition
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• A Girl Who Wanted to be Loved: A Booklet Essay by Film Historian Julie Kirgo
• Edith Head’s Costume Design: The Art of Exaggeration – Featurette
• Sweet Charity: From the Stage to the Screen – Featurette
• Sweet Charity: 145-Minute Alternate Version – Newly Restored in 4K
• 5.1 Surround and Lossless 2.0 Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Kino Insider

#2007 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Coming August 6th!

The Front Page (1974) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Michael Schlesinger and Mark Evanier
• NEW Interviews with First Assistant Director Howard G. Kazanjian and Assistant to Billy Wilder Rex McGee
• NEW Interview with Actor Austin Pendleton
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 105 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From Billy Wilder, the legendary director of The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, Witness for the Prosecution and One Two Three comes this classic comedy based on the play by Ben Hecht (Notorious) and Charles MacArthur (His Girl Friday) with a screenplay by Wilder and the great I.A.L. Diamond (Irma La Douce). Ruthless newspaper editor Walter Burns (Walter Matthau, Charley Varrick) and his crack ace reporter Hildy (Jack Lemmon, Avanti!) believe together they can cover any story. The only problem is their team is being broken up as Hildy has decided to get married and leave the newspaper business altogether. As Hildy grooms his replacement, his retirement is derailed when the story of the century breaks and all of Chicago is in hot pursuit. The stellar cast includes Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise), Carol Burnett (Annie), Vincent Gardenia (Moonstruck), David Wayne (The Three Faces of Eve), Allen Garfield (Busting), Austin Pendleton (My Cousin Vinny), Charles Durning (O Brother, Where Art Thou?), Herb Edelman (The Odd Couple), Martin Gabel (Marnie), Harold Gould (Love and Death) and Dick O’Neill (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three).

dustybooks

#2008 Post by dustybooks » Tue May 21, 2019 3:14 pm

I’ve never seen this version but I’m intrigued that Evanier recorded a commentary, not a name I expected to see there...

knives

#2009 Post by knives » Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I think Olive previously put it out. It's okay by late Wilder standards, but it's probably the worst version of the play.

Kino Insider

#2010 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm

knives wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm
I think Olive previously put it out.
No, they didn't. First time on Blu-ray in the U.S.
Last edited by Kino Insider on Tue May 21, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kino Insider

#2011 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Coming August 6th!

A Foreign Affair (1948) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 116 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Billy Wilder, the legendary director of Five Graves to Cairo, Double Indemnity, Some Like It Hot, Irma La Douce and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes comes this classic comedy that mixes romance with hard-boiled wit in a story about stiff-necked Iowa congresswoman Phoebe Frost (Jean Arthur, Easy Living) mired in jaded postwar Berlin. As she investigates the morale of American troops, she is cynically wooed by fellow Iowan Captain John Pringle (John Lund, The Mating Season), who is trying to cover up his affair with Nazi-tainted chanteuse Erika von Schlütow (Marlene Dietrich, Witness for the Prosecution). In this often amusing and forever endearing film, Wilder peppers the love story with tart dialogue and satiric jabs at Midwestern naïveté. A Foreign Affair features the wonderful character actor Millard Mitchell (Singin’ in the Rain) as Colonel Rufus J. Plummer.

knives

#2012 Post by knives » Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm
knives wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm
I think Olive previously put it out.
No, they didn't. First time on Blu-ray in the U.S.
I was referring to DVD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2013 Post by swo17 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:33 pm

I don't believe Olive ever released it in any format

RIP Film Aficionado

knives

#2014 Post by knives » Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm

The cover's just very Olive-y I guess.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2015 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Austin Pendleton is a great “Oh, that guy” actor. In addition to his work on Oz, he’s great in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode as a Stephen Hawking stand-in. But that said, I don’t remember who he plays in this at all... though to be fair, all I really remember of the movie is David Wayne’s not very progressive character

knives

#2016 Post by knives » Tue May 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Wasn't he the guy on death row. The mock turtle?

Kino Insider

#2017 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

knives wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm
The cover's just very Olive-y I guess.
What, the original poster art?

Kino Insider

#2018 Post by Kino Insider » Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Coming August 13th!

Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954) In French with optional English subtitles

• A 4K Restoration!
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Interview with filmmaker Jean Becker (13:23)
• Interview with actress Jeanne Moreau (4:50)
• Interview with Professor Ginette Vincendeau (7:46)
• Theatrical Trailer

Jacques Becker’s (Le Trou) Touchez Pas Au Grisbi occupies a significant part in French cinema history; it exerted a huge influence on subsequent directors such as Jean-Pierre Melville (Le Doulos), Henri Verneuil (The Sicilian Clan) and Claude Sautet (Classe Tous Risques). Max (Jean Gabin, Port of Shadows) is an aging gangster who manages to pull off his final heist, a spectacular gold bullion robbery at Orly airport. All is well until Max’s former girlfriend Josy (Jeanne Moreau, Viva Maria!) tips off a rival gangster, Angelo (Lino Ventura, Razzia Sur La Chnouf). Angelo kidnaps Max’s partner and best friend and threatens to kill him unless Max hands over the loot from his robbery. Touchez Pas Au Grisbi was the birth the French policier, a European transposition of the fantastic American gangster films and film noirs of the 1940s. Based on a book by Albert Simonin (Cold Sweat) and beautifully shot in striking black-and-white by Pierre Montazel (Hi-Jack Highway).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed May 22, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

#2019 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed May 22, 2019 12:24 am

do you think that we can except a "new" transfer for "Prénom Carmen" aka "First Name Carmen" and will the subtitles be "burnt" into the master? (this was not the case fortunately for "Mes Provinciales" (optional subtitles).

I mean there is 2 digital transfer HD "around" :

- one was amazing but only available via iTunes (720p) with "subtitles" burnt in. Open with StudioCanal logo; with a very nice improvement of HD details in comparison to the DVD (I had the Godard US box set on DVD); no obvious DNR or odd typical Eclair greenish color grading.

- unfortunately when it was released in Japan on Blu-Ray they used a different master/restoration than the iTunes HD 720p transfer which was IMHO really great : it still with the StudioCanal logo, but a lot of HD details have been "plagued" and ruined by some excessive filters. The color grading looked different than the iTunes transfer which was close to the DVD transfer, and which looked more natural to Raoul Coutard great photography for this amazing Godard from the 80's.

So can we expect a different transfer (something closer to the iTunes 720 transfer) or will Kino duplicate the Japanese blu-ray ? [-o< :

see here for the comment about the Japanese Blu-Ray :

http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... en#p599466

see a vidcap/screenshot of the Japanese Blu-Ray : the DNR is so excessive that all grain has disappeared whereas the iTunes 720 HD transfer had a good balance between HD details improvement, film-like texture and no excessive filters like DNR :

https://images.imgbox.com/6b/02/m3OYIZxi_o.png

L.A.

#2020 Post by L.A. » Wed May 22, 2019 4:53 am

Peter Pan (Herbert Brenon, 1924) coming July 9th. Haven’t seen it yet so will definitely get this.

Hopefully The Blue Bird (Maurice Tourneur, 1918) gets an upgrade too. Beautiful film.

ford

#2021 Post by ford » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:53 pm
Austin Pendleton is a great “Oh, that guy” actor. In addition to his work on Oz, he’s great in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode as a Stephen Hawking stand-in
Here’s how good he is: for decades now, if the Steve Martin Sgt Bilko movie is on TV, I’ll watch it just for Pendleton’s hilarious deadpan character Ebersole. I don’t even know what to compare it to but he’s a complete genius in an otherwise totally forgettable movie.

schellenbergk

#2022 Post by schellenbergk » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 am

Kino Insider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm
Coming August 6th!

A Foreign Affair (1948) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride
• Theatrical Trailer
Looking forward to this very much. First saw it years ago at the AFI on the big screen and loved it - picked up a TCM Archive DVD release a few years back.

It was paired on that release with Five Graves to Cairo - which I would love to see on Blu-Ray. Both are IMO very underrated Wilder films.

the__projectionist

#2023 Post by the__projectionist » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

It's good to hear you working on Guy Maddin's film. What about Guerin (really wishing for In the City of Sylvia) -- Kino Insider?

justeleblanc

#2024 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Are Front Page and Foreign Affair the last of the Universal Wilders? Or did KL also license 5 Graves, Major/Minor, and the Wilder-penned Midnight?

Glowingwabbit

#2025 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:04 pm
Are Front Page and Foreign Affair the last of the Universal Wilders? Or did KL also license 5 Graves, Major/Minor, and the Wilder-penned Midnight?
5 Graves was on the list of Universal titles KL Insider posted back on page 78 of this thread.