1104 Citizen Kane

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

Re: Citizen Kane

#126 Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

dx23 wrote:Picked the Best Buy edition and it includes discs 1 and 2 with a 48 page booklet.
Am I correct that this means the Best Buy version includes The Battle for Citizen Kane, but not RKO 281?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#127 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 pm

That would make it similar to the 2001 DVD release. Also, FWIW, DVD Aficionado says yes.

dx23

#128 Post by dx23 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Jeff wrote:
dx23 wrote:Picked the Best Buy edition and it includes discs 1 and 2 with a 48 page booklet.
Am I correct that this means the Best Buy version includes The Battle for Citizen Kane, but not RKO 281?
Yes, it leaves out RKO 281 (which is available in a lot of places for less than $5) and the lobby cards and movie program. I haven't opened mine yet but I believe the 48 page booklet included in the Ultimate set has been converted into the 48 page packaging digibook.

Jeff

#129 Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 am

Sold on the Best Buy version then. Who needs a shelf-hogging box of crap? I'm sure Ambersons will turn up on its own eventually.

knives

#130 Post by knives » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 am

Jeff wrote:Sold on the Best Buy version then. Who needs a shelf-hogging box of crap? I'm sure Ambersons will turn up on its own eventually.
Be prepared to eat your words, Warners sure do seem to want to stick it to their fanbase.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#131 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

And there's no filler! Jesus I have trouble getting through entire sets in Criterion because I want to digest everything! Two commentary tracks? That means I'm watching that movie three times, plus more features.

Does anyone here actually like the booklets/photos/other collectible stuff like that? I personally don't care at all for this stuff.

Roger Ryan

#132 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:27 am

With all the hubbub about AMBERSONS, I just wanted to comment that the KANE Blu-ray does indeed look superb. The image has a lovely amount of grain that makes it look like real film, the contrasts are excellent and the picture is sharp and detailed. At the same time, I didn't detect any damage whatsoever. In effect, the Blu-ray corrects all of the issues of the 2001 DVD while maintaining a sharp, damage-free image.

The deluxe packaging is fine as well, but nothing spectacular. The Rosebud sled is a folder which contains the original 1941 program (a nicely-done reproduction) and other promotional items. I can really do without the hackneyed lobby displays, but I smiled when seeing a copy of a Schwab's Drugstore receipt for a case of Scotch (for a "Studio Party")! Also interesting is a budget breakdown that determines what each of the actors will be paid. The hardcover booklet is nothing special, but it provides a more even-handed summary of the making of the film than the BATTLE OVER CITIZEN KANE documentary does. Frustratingly, the storyboards featured in the booklet are printed black-on-red making it almost impossible to discern what they represent.

There is one questionable art direction choice that rivals the misuse of the deleted scenes stills on the AMBERSONS packaging and that is the Blu-ray label image for the KANE disc. The image shows three head shots peering through missing jigsaw pieces. Two of the heads belong to Welles as Kane and Ruth Warrick as Emily (Kane's first wife); the third is actually Joan Blair as Georgie the madam! The images of Welles and Blair are taken from a production still for the infamous brothel scene that was cut from the film. I'm sure the Warner art department thought Blair was Dorothy Comingore (who played Kane's second wife Susan) and that the image was meant to represent the love triangle featured in the film. So, good for Blair; her role was cut out of the movie, but her photo is now prominently featured on the Blu-ray disc itself!

atcolomb

#133 Post by atcolomb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:14 pm

And i bet you Kane would have had more fun with Georgie at the brothel than looking at Susan doing jigsaw puzzles #-o

hamsterburger

#134 Post by hamsterburger » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the "70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition"-blu does not come in a blu-ray sized case. It's DVD height, like The Jazz Singer DVD-box and will therefore not fit in shelves that only fit blu-rays (like mine) ](*,)

You'd think some of the reviewers would have mentioned this before.

Anyway, I shall have to get rid of it and acquire the Best Buy edition instead. It has the second disc of extras and only misses out on RKO 281, right?

PfR73

#135 Post by PfR73 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:54 am

hamsterburger wrote:Anyway, I shall have to get rid of it and acquire the Best Buy edition instead. It has the second disc of extras and only misses out on RKO 281, right?
Correct. It's also currently on sale for $10.99. I just bought a copy yesterday.

hearthesilence

#136 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Regardless, post-Christmas season, I hope WB issues a non-exclusive, single disc BD version. The $35 retail on the Best Buy edition is ridiculous, and dropping the crappy American Experience documentary would be more than welcome if it makes it affordable to everyone in any region.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#137 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:32 am

Where's the thread for complaining about Best Buy? They just canceled my order for their exclusive BD release of Citizen Kane, and the listing has now disappeared from their site.

Roger Ryan

#138 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 am

swo17 wrote:Where's the thread for complaining about Best Buy? They just canceled my order for their exclusive BD release of Citizen Kane, and the listing has now disappeared from their site.
The Best Buy exclusive is no longer exclusive - you can now get the Blu-ray book edition at Amazon (and elsewhere starting next month I believe).

Take a look at the current Amazon listing for the KANE Blu-ray and you'll see some crazy pricing. The "Ultimate Collector's Edition" is $48...and $33 if you accept AMBERSONS as part of the package (apparently it's a $15 credit just to take the DVD of Welles' second film off their hands). Of course, you could choose to buy this set "used" from the Amazon marketplace for $500!
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

#139 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:17 am

Roger Ryan wrote:The Best Buy exclusive is no longer exclusive - you can now get the Blu-ray book edition at Amazon (and elsewhere starting next month I believe).
Those copies on Amazon are being sold by third parties (who bought them at Best Buy and are selling them for double the price or more). The set including Ambersons is a great deal now, but I'm extremely pleased with the Blu-ray book. I was able to get the $10 price at Best Buy via in-store pick up.

Roger Ryan

#140 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Ah yes, I only saw that Amazon was selling the Blu-ray book new ($47.99); didn't notice that they were only fulfilling a third party source. Sorry for the misinformation. Reportedly, this edition gets a wide release next month, so hopefully the price comes down.

MichaelB

#141 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

hamsterburger wrote:Just thought I'd let everyone know that the "70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition"-blu does not come in a blu-ray sized case. It's DVD height, like The Jazz Singer DVD-box and will therefore not fit in shelves that only fit blu-rays (like mine)

You'd think some of the reviewers would have mentioned this before.
If their experience is anything like mine, they may not get sent the packaging. The vast majority of my review copies consist of a checkdisc (or sometimes even a DVD-R/BD-R) with a press release, with the booklet coming either as a photocopy or with an emailed link to download a PDF version. Which is why I rarely mention packaging.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#142 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:23 pm

It fits "nicely" next to the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray set. Or, rather, doesn't

jorencain

#143 Post by jorencain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:31 pm

swo17 wrote:Where's the thread for complaining about Best Buy? They just canceled my order for their exclusive BD release of Citizen Kane, and the listing has now disappeared from their site.
The same thing happened to me. And I was only refunded $6.51 (of my $10.99 purchase)...I had to call Best Buy, and it turns out they charged me a restocking fee(!) for an order that they cancelled on an item they discontinued.. The woman I talked to said that was ridiculous, though, and said that I should get the rest refunded in the next 2 days.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#144 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:33 am

Well, Best Buy has now not only issued me a refund but also an $11 gift card, so I suppose all is forgiven.

jorencain

#145 Post by jorencain » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 pm

swo17 wrote:Well, Best Buy has now not only issued me a refund but also an $11 gift card, so I suppose all is forgiven.
I just went to my local Best Buy, which had about 5 copies of this, AND it was $10.99. I used my gift card on it, so I'm all set.

dx23

#146 Post by dx23 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 am

It's again for $10.99 at Best Buy although the digibook is not found anymore on the site. People have to check their stores for availability.

atcolomb

#147 Post by atcolomb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Sight And Sound just compiled the 10 best films of all time and for the first time in 50 years Citizen Kane is in second place behind Vertigo. Vertigo is a great film but i would have selected The Godfather as the best film to go on the list.

CSM126

#148 Post by CSM126 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:36 pm

atcolomb wrote:Sight And Sound just compiled the 10 best films of all time and for the first time in 50 years Citizen Kane is in second place behind Vertigo. Vertigo is a great film but i would have selected The Godfather as the best film to go on the list.
You, sir, have completely redefined my entire outlook on cinema - nay, on life itself - with this riveting, informative, and wholly necessary posting. God bless you, sir.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#149 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Sight and what? What is this list you speak of???

Niale

#150 Post by Niale » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 am

Atcolomb needed more than one lesson... csm126 and mfunk made sure he GOT more than one lesson.